Desktop WiFi Card Doesn't Fit In PCI Slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
I received my motherboard, case, and wireless card in the mail today. I got these:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-443PI IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI 2.2 Bus Master Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP (Hex or ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK - Retail

The mobo has 2 PCI slots, and the add on card is PCI. On the motherboard, the two white slots are the PCI slots. I have tried inserting the card into both slots and it doesn't go in all the way. I am afraid I am going to break the slots, if I haven't done so already.

If you look at the pictures, the wireless card has a connector like this:
|___| |_____________| |___|
but the slots on the motherboard are like this:
|__________________| |___|

What is going on here?

It's supposed to fit. Just push it in harder. There might be some pins showing at the top of the slot.

Ok thanks. I don't have all my parts yet so hopefully some stuff will be cleared up later.

Quick question. I have this case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The fans have cables that end in a little 3 block-type pin connector, and these connectors are plugged into a sort of extension thing that ends in a big 4 pin connector. I have the little 3 pin connectors but not the 4 pin ones on my motherboard. Does this have something to do with any sort of fan controller or something? Should I just plug them in without the included extender thing? I will take pictures if needed.

plug the fans into your motherboard using the 3 pin connectors, you're right it is for fan control. This can be set in the BIOS or programs are available to do this in Windows. The four pin Molex adapters are provided for people whoese motherbaords dont have those 3 pin connectors. Hope this helps

Thanks. Everything came today. Good news it POSTed fine! So it looks like I did everything alright.

I just want to make sure, you don't apply thermal paste if you use stock heatsink/fan correct?

Is there anything I should check? I want to make sure my computer doesn't explode or anything.

My BIOS isn't the most recent version but it's the version that added support for my CPU. Do I have to make changes in the BIOS for my memory or anything? I put in basic settings like SMART HDD and stuff that I knew what it was.

I just want to make sure, you don't apply thermal paste if you use stock heatsink/fan correct?

Sometimes, the stockers will come with a thermal pad on the heat sink..... Did you look to MAKE SURE that there was something there? If there isn't, you could fry the CPU, if it hasn't already been damaged.

Sometimes, the stockers will come with a thermal pad on the heat sink..... Did you look to MAKE SURE that there was something there? If there isn't, you could fry the CPU, if it hasn't already been damaged.

It's a good thing I only turned it on to set up the BIOS then shut it off... Hope it was good enough that I didn't fry anything.

I was running the PC without the side panels or front panl because I wanted to make sure it POSTed before I put everything back together.

I just removed the heatsink and theres some gray stuff on the bottom of it and on the CPU where they meet. Is this the pad/paste or is this a sign that I screwed up? It's gray and you can wipe it off your finger, I touched it and the tiniest bit came off.

That is the thermal paste Ethereal was talking about... don't wipe it off unless you have something better/equal to put on it. I'd just reinstall it and call it a day.

That is the thermal paste Ethereal was talking about... don't wipe it off unless you have something better/equal to put on it. I'd just reinstall it and call it a day.

Thank you

My next upgrade will be either more case fans and a Zalman CPU cooler, or possibly watercooling but I doubt that because it seems like a big hassle. Whichever one is cheaper really. When I do that I'll put on some really nice thermal paste from the Thermal Paste Wars thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom