Desktop crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujitm

Beta member
Hi,

My three year old desktop crashed 3 days ago. When I press the power button, NOTHING is happening. First I thought it was the power supply. I changed that and still the problem persists. The next bet might be CPU or motherboard. I don't know how to figure out what is the problem. Can someone suggest a few steps to nail down the problem?

Also, if I am unable to fix the problem I am thinking of replacing the desktop with a laptop. But I do need to access the internal hard drive of the failed desktop. Is there any way that I can take the hard drive from the desktop and access it from a laptop through some adapters?

Thanks
SM

check the power button thats connected to the motherboard might be shorted out, and are there any light lighting up in the motherboard?

thanks. there are no lights lighting p on the motherboard. how should i check the power switch whether it is shorting out? I thought of the potential problem but i don't know how to figure out if that is THE problem.

take the reset button and use it as a power button , take the cables from the reset button and and put it in the jumper pins where the power button goes in the motherboard, i'd suggest memorizing or writing down where all switches go in so you dont forget

its better off checking first than just start buying motherboards , that happened to me 2 times

thanks folks. the switch seems not to be the issue. so the next bet will be the motherboard. THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom