Dell Vostro 3550 LCD Displays Backwards

kjacobs

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have a very bizarre issue with a Dell Vostro 3350 laptop. The LCD screen display is mirrored backwards left to right, even at initial bootup of the computer (motherboard post and bios screens). When plugged into an external monitor, the bios screen displays correctly, although this does NOT work at all when opened into windows 7....it will not switch monitors with the monitor key.

I tried a motherboard BIOS update (since it was an old version anyway), but no luck.

Has anyone ever seen this before?? Is this a potential LCD failure or a motherboard issue?? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Hello,

I have a very bizarre issue with a Dell Vostro 3350 laptop. The LCD screen display is mirrored backwards left to right, even at initial bootup of the computer (motherboard post and bios screens). When plugged into an external monitor, the bios screen displays correctly, although this does NOT work at all when opened into windows 7....it will not switch monitors with the monitor key.
Ken

Its a LCD problem, if you feel comfortable enough, disassemble the lcd from from the laptop bottom chassis.
Check for the inverter that plugs into the motherboard and take it out for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
On a safe stable tabel, carefully plug up your laptop and hit the power button.
If it does this reverse display error all the way from bootup, see about getting your lcd replaced.

If dell has your system under warrenty have them fix it.

Hi and thanks for the reply....

The laptop belongs to a customer and is out of warranty. So you are saying I need to unplug the LCD from the motherboard for 30 secs? Not just unplug the cable from the LCD display? I have had the upper frame open, but have not taken the entire laptop apart yet.....

I also removed the laptop battery earlier and hit the power button to try and clear the motherboard to no avail. But I can always dig into this thing farther if necessary.

Thanks again for the info....

The laptop belongs to a customer and is out of warranty. So you are saying I need to unplug the LCD from the motherboard for 30 secs? Not just unplug the cable from the LCD display? I have had the upper frame open, but have not taken the entire laptop apart yet.....

I also removed the laptop battery earlier and hit the power button to try and clear the motherboard to no avail. But I can always dig into this thing farther if necessary.

Unplugging it from the LCD panel would be the same as unplugging from the motherboard - either way the connection is broken.

The laptop belongs to a customer and is out of warranty. So you are saying I need to unplug the LCD from the motherboard for 30 secs? Not just unplug the cable from the LCD display?
I see why you came here for help welcome to TF.net. :)
Yeah try what I mentioned, if its just a graphical glitch, remove the inverter for abit and plug it back in.
If it doesn't fix itself that way check here for this part:

Screen for Dell VOSTRO 3550. Replacement Laptop LCD Screens

Least the part doesn't cost nearly 100.00 dollars.
Let us know what happens soon.

Well....I tried unplugging the screen and waiting for a while. Plugged it back in and it was still backwards. I also tried plugging in an external monitor while the lcd was unplugged...the external monitor displayed the image correctly.

Oh...and I just noticed I have the model wrong in the title....its a 3350...not a 3550. I had already done some research on the LCD at that website link for the 3350 LCD.....thanks for the recommendation. I went ahead and ordered one....so will see what happens.

Last edited:
Well if it was an issue with the graphics card, then I'd think it would also display reversed on the external monitor.

Honestly this is the first I've seen of an issue like this, lol. If it displayed the BIOS/splash screens correctly, then I'd say it was a Windows/software issue.

And since you updated the BIOS already, I wouldn't think it would be a BIOS issue.

Did the user do anything in particular when they first had this issue occur?

Nope....they were at a convention and launched the computer to a backwards screen...VERY BIZARRE for sure. They called me that day and I tried to walk them through some options, but obviously to no avail.

She brought it in yesterday to check out.....I was quite surprised. At least it was something new and different....LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom