Dell Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldthesage

Baseband Member
My computer won't start up unless I unplug everything from it and leave it overnight, otherwise it just sits there beeping slowly, I think that it might be my RAM but I'd like a second opinion before I go and buy replacement RAM.

Oh, two other things the Computer I am using is a Dell Dimension 8400 and when it doesn't boot up the A and B lights on the Back are Orange/Red, or it might be C and D I wrote it down but lost the paper and I don't want to try again. Also if you want any specs just ask

When your computer does start up, is it stable? (ie can you check your email, or leave it on for extended periods of time)

It seems to be I am using it now... I just Can't shut it down.

Also for about the past month I have been getting the Blue Screen of Death if I run too many/any programs until after my computer has completely logged in/booted up

Hmmm okay, do this for me real quick. This will check to see if your CPU and RAM is working properly.

Download Orthos: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_20060420.cab

Open Orthos and where there is a field that says 'Test' with a drop down box beside it, choose 'Blend - stress CPU and RAM'.
It will then start making your computer chugging away at some math. Let that run for about 10-15 minutes. If it's still running, your system should be stable enough, and there's another underlying cause to your problem.
If it fails, then yes you need new RAM.

Alright... Hmmmm... So, if you were to restart it right now, it would not boot back up again?
When you say it beeps slowly, is it a constant beeping? Are the long, evenly spaced beeps? Or how does the rhythm go? The beepings are like codes to diagnose problems. If you told me the rhythm, then I can probably look it up somewhere.

One possible cause we may be looking at right now is heating issues. But Orthos is designed to stress your computer as far as it will go, resulting in maximum heat output. So if it was stable for 15 minutes, your computer defiantly should not have any problem POSTing (a.k.a starting up)

Another possible cause could be that your computer is underpowered. If possible, can you give me a model number of your power supply? If you can't find that, reply with the wattage. Also if possible, maybe there is a amperage table on the power supply unit? I doubt it though, being a Dell proprietary PSU (power supply) and all. The reason I suspect this is because when your computer starts up, it gives the maximum amount of power output at that point in time, especially to the CPU. This may be a reason you have a hard time starting it, but it runs fine after you turn it on.

You have to unplug everything AND leave it overnight?? Sounds to me like a mobo problem... Try only unplugging certain things and booting up, one at a time. It could be a hardware problem that affects boot up.

the beeps are in groups of 3 with approximately 1 second between each beep then a 2-3 second pause, i think I'll shut it down tonight and check. Also is there a chance that It could be caused by my hard drive because I've encountered this kind of thing before but there was no beeping and it was on an older computer, I also just found out that the problem started when someone was trying to burn a cd with iTunes so if any of that is any help, I'll also look into my powersupply tonight/tommorow.

EDIT/ADDITION: Okay I turned it off and now it works fine, no problems what soever, also I believe my power supply is an ATX-305 305w or something like that and is 300 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom