Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Ghost
 
luke127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 838
Default Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

Okay guys at school we have Dell Latitudes. They are the newer ones will the intel core I5 and windows 7 professional. I can't remember the series. If i find out I'll let you know. Anyway the power SOCKETS in the laptops themselves appear to be screwed. I think it's because of the lack of care. I am not sure. Will be back with more later.
__________________

__________________
Yeah, I'm the boss 😂😂 FIGJAM 😂😂
luke127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

That really does not help us at all. Does it run off the AC? If it does, it is nothing to do with the plug. If not, you may have to resoder the connector to the board.
__________________

__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,515
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
That really does not help us at all. Does it run off the AC? If it does, it is nothing to do with the plug. If not, you may have to resoder the connector to the board.
Wait, what? lol

If a laptop runs off of AC... it's plugged in lol.

@luke: If the cable is fine (i.e. charges another computer / outputs the correct values as far as volts/amps), then the port is probably bad on the laptop. Does the port feel loose on when the charger is plugged in?

Since they're your school's laptops... I wouldn't try messing with them... just take them to your IT department, and they will either send them in for warranty, or will fix them themselves.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Ghost
 
luke127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 838
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

Stuff the IT. All they'll do is either hold the whole BANK of laptops and find any broken ones OR they'll send the ones I give them to the Dell guys. Now we have about 22 laptops most of which won't charge. And to make matters worse the bank that they sit in when not in use has power boards with a charger for each laptop in them. Which is in turn connected to 1 powerboard which is connected to the Ac point. So what I am saying is that 1 power point is charging 22 laptops. And the even more worse part is SOME idiot from the last class turned the powerpoint OFF.

Also the trolleys have Eco settings. So if you want them charged quickly eg over a 40 minute period or lunch. You'd set it for max. For overnight you'd set it to Eco mode which basically means that each powerboard is given power for a period of time then the next one gets power etc and it repeats. Then you have the next setting which is totally OFF. Meaning that nothing is charged.

I'd say that it's the laptops themselves that are the issue. But I can't exactly prove that. It's the way the other students handle them. Some even scratch the screens with paperclips and other metallic objects. Those are $1300 laptops EACH but bulk discounts do apply for schools. Still you don't treat something that valuable and expensive with that much disrespect. Dumb year 7's think they own the school and can do whatever they want. If I find one doing ANY damage to those laptops woe betide them. Because nothing will be able to contain my wrath.
__________________
Yeah, I'm the boss 😂😂 FIGJAM 😂😂
luke127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
MindoverMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: /home
Posts: 12,212
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Wait, what? lol

If a laptop runs off of AC... it's plugged in lol.
Sorry, was tired last night.
__________________
Neowin.net Steam Account
MindoverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,515
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke127 View Post
Stuff the IT. All they'll do is either hold the whole BANK of laptops and find any broken ones OR they'll send the ones I give them to the Dell guys. Now we have about 22 laptops most of which won't charge. And to make matters worse the bank that they sit in when not in use has power boards with a charger for each laptop in them. Which is in turn connected to 1 powerboard which is connected to the Ac point. So what I am saying is that 1 power point is charging 22 laptops. And the even more worse part is SOME idiot from the last class turned the powerpoint OFF.

Also the trolleys have Eco settings. So if you want them charged quickly eg over a 40 minute period or lunch. You'd set it for max. For overnight you'd set it to Eco mode which basically means that each powerboard is given power for a period of time then the next one gets power etc and it repeats. Then you have the next setting which is totally OFF. Meaning that nothing is charged.

I'd say that it's the laptops themselves that are the issue. But I can't exactly prove that. It's the way the other students handle them. Some even scratch the screens with paperclips and other metallic objects. Those are $1300 laptops EACH but bulk discounts do apply for schools. Still you don't treat something that valuable and expensive with that much disrespect. Dumb year 7's think they own the school and can do whatever they want. If I find one doing ANY damage to those laptops woe betide them. Because nothing will be able to contain my wrath.
We had 1-to-1 laptops when I was in HS, so I understand what your'e trying to get at. But the laptops aren't your responsibility. You don't own them; the school does, and the school pays the IT department to fix them. If you want to test it, get a charger, measure the output values (with a multimeter), and see if the jack is loose inside the plug (i.e. does it wiggle around).
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Ghost
 
luke127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 838
Default Re: Dell Latitude won't charge. It's not the power cable.

I am going to do that today. I'll tell the IT to have a look at them. There are abvious downsides to having 1 entire trolley in repairs though. Alright thanks guys.
__________________

__________________
Yeah, I'm the boss 😂😂 FIGJAM 😂😂
luke127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem? True Colors Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 11-01-2011 10:30 PM
Gateway Laptop won't charge unless in power saving mode??? cabech984 Laptops and Notebooks 1 03-11-2010 06:26 PM
Dell desktop won't power up - blinking orange light - power supply? VgRt6 Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 21 12-23-2009 09:27 AM
Dell pc won't power up at times eldergreen Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 0 11-06-2008 10:36 AM
Dell Inspiron 4150/Latitude C640 Battery won't charge edvosder Laptops and Notebooks 1 10-24-2007 06:45 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.