Dell Laptop Screen Won't Switch On

Mannaroth

Beta member
Hello,

I currently have a dell xps 17 laptop. It will not switch on properly.

When I power it on, the lights flash on as normal, and some of the fans appear to start (although the side fan does not appear to work). The cd drive will open when I press the button, and the touch buttons light up on contact as normal.

However, the screen does not switch on at all. The laptop will stay on but nothing will happen. The side fan does not appear to be working either (i cant hear it, and that area gets VERY hot when plugged in).

I am currently on holiday and do not have an hdmi cable to test it on an external display (though I could maybe buy one).

I have tried fully charging and depleting the battery, I have tried removing and reinserting the coin cell battery and the memory. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Also, I tried running the LCD BIST, and it worked fine. I saw all of the colours with no issue. However, I still see nothing when booting normally.

If it's not turning on, maybe graphics card? I am an amature computer repair tech. I remember having a customer come in with the same issue and when my Manager hooked it up to the external screen, he went to the power plan and did something there to fix it. Might be worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom