Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceware

In Runtime
Hi

IÂ’ve got this Dell Inspiron 2650 notebook that IÂ’m trying to upgrade for a friend of mine. It currently only has 128MB of RAM and IÂ’m trying to install another 512MB chip to speed it up. I ran CPUz and it says the 128MB of ram installed is PC2100 but only running at 100MHz. Now the problem IÂ’m actually having is that IÂ’ve just today bought a 512MB PC2700 333MHz chip for it and when I have installed it the notebook refuses to boot. The power light comes on and you can hear the HDD and the CD-ROM but nothing else happens. From my experience and according to the technician at the computer store where I bought the chip from PC2700 should work with PC2100 fine. Would anybody know how I may get the PC2700 RAM to work ?

Also the reason why IÂ’m trying to upgrade it with PC2700 instead of PC2100 is that none of the computer stores that I shop at carry it anymore. Here are some basic specifications of the notebook :

Intel Pentium 4-m 1.6GHz Northwood processor
Intel i845D chipset
128MB PC2100 DDR RAM installed and running at 100MHz
The FSB is 400MHz

Thanks in advance

That technician may be wrong. Did you get his creditenals? (misspelled)

I tried putting a PC133 stick in my computer which had PC100, that didn't work lol. Just replace that stick with a 512 of PC2100. OR! If his board supports dual channel get him two sticks of 256MB, which is sometimes cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom