Dell HP-1457F3 power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosehead1

Beta member
I have a Dell HP-1457F3 20 pin power supply that I am using outside the computer as a stand alone power source. My question is I am trying to run a small 12v motor off the 12v output of the power supply but when I hook it up it makes sound like it is going to work but it doesn't and the power supply shuts off. Any suggestions on how to keep the power going to my little motor? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Don't quote me on this, but don't you need something regulating the power intake? As I recall, that's how the VGA power connection from a motherboard to a PSU works. The motherboard regulates the power intake, and I'm assuming if the PSU doesn't detect any regulation, would it not shut down automatically? Seems to me that would be a safety feature; you wouldn't want electricity flowing freely into an environment that can conduct it freely.

Like I said though, don't hold me to this. I'm no expert, and I'm certainly no electrician.

I have jumpered the power on wire and it will run my 12v fan but not my 12v motor. Could there just not be enough amps to run the motor or is the motor requiring more volts to run? Thanks for your replys so far I appreciate the help!!

the motor is directing the current straight across the inside wires. you need to add a resistance like a resistor or a cd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom