Dell flat-panel monitor keeps shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0nginmyheart

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Recently, my Dell flat-panel monitor has been turning off on its own (green power light does not light on). I'll push the power button back on and the screen will come back on for a split second and then turn right back off. On some tries, it doesn't even come back on.

I tried plugging the monitor power cord into another outlet and I am still havintg the same issues. I do not have an extra monitor to test to see if the problems occurs with another monitor.

I don't know if the monitor is overheating, if that's even possible? Or if it just old and needs replacing. The monitor is probably ~5 years old. Right now, I've left the computer shut off for a few hours, and I haven't had this problem recur tonight, yet.

I don't see a model # on the screen but if anyone needs additional information I can gladly try to provide.

Thanks in advance~

I used to get this sometimes on my Dell 207WFP when i was moving around. Make sure the power cord is snugly fitted. I found that it was loose.

Or do you mean it goes completely off, yet you can turn it back on? That might be a loose wire.. Is it still under warranty?

Hi,

All the cords have been secure and I hadn't touched anything in a couple months, and the problem just started recently.

The problem was that the monitor would keep turning off (the power light is neither green nor orange), and when I would push the power button to turn it back it, it will turn on and then off, and at some times, it wouldn't turn back on.

Now, the problem is getting progressively worse. I haven't had the monitor turn off by itself lately, but now when I turn the computer on, the monitor kind of flickers with horizontal lines... is this a monitor problem or a video card problem, or something else?

The Dell Monitor model is E171FPB

Hi, my monitor has been out of warranty for some time now. I mentioned in my first post it's roughly 5 years old.

In the meantime, I was able to get ahold of a friend that allowed me to plug my monitor into his laptop... and it did not have the flickering lines problem. I was not (additionally) able to plug my tower into a spare monitor due to lack of having an extra one. Anyway, when I got back home the flickering problem has not reoccured... yet. Any way else to narrow down the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom