Dell Dimension loses Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamizpa

Beta member
My sister is having a problem with her Dell Dimension Desktop losing what she thought power or video. She boots it up, gets the windows desktop screen, and it goes blank. The Green CPU lights stays blinking. So she brought it to me to troubleshoot or try and retreive her files. I hooked it up to one of my extra monitors/keyboard/mouse and we had no problems with it. We updated Microsoft updates and her virus software, ran it for awhile and have no problem with it other than it is an older system running XP and a little slow. She takes it back to her house, same problem. I told her to try another monitor. She does, same problem. She has two other pcs working in that room of her house. Any ideas? Possible bad video card? Why would it work at our house? I used her power cable at our house. I told her maybe it was the power in her house (renovated one room school house) but since the other systems are running fine she doesn't think that could be it.

It may be her power supply. Or it may just be the house current. Just because there are other PC's running doesn't mean squat. She may not be on the same circuit as the others or she may be at the end of the line so to speak and not getting enough current. Try shutting down the other PC's and see if it still happens. Move it to another room that you KNOW is on another circuit. Get a UPS and plug it into it instead of the wall only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom