Dell desktop starts,shuts down, starts, does not reach POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

alasdair

Beta member
Hi I have a Dell inspiron, sorry don't k now the model, it was given to me so no papers, and no labels outside to indicate the model, but it is about 4 - 5 yrs old.

Closing the box down as per usual, and the turning off at the power point (which I don't usually do), when switching on the power point next day, the computer started without me pressing the on/off switch. It then immediately shut down and then powered up again. It cycles like this as long as the power is supplied to it.

There is a slight hesitation between the 1st and 2nd cycles, then closer together and regular.

The Dell diagnosis lights go as follows:
1st cycle A: Green B: Yellow (flashes slightly later) C: Yellow D: Green
Subsequent cycles: same as above except all lights flash together.

It does not get to POST (no beeps). Seems like a hardware issue. But what?

Power Supply fan comes on and stays on, sounds like the HD just starts to spin up and stops, CPU fan, same.

I have had a much older Dell that did the same thing, but that wasn't worth rescuing. I would like to save this one if pos.

Any help or test suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,

Alasdair

First try removing all extra peripherals. Only thing that stays attached to the motherboard is the CPU, 1 stick of RAM and your video card. See if anything changes.

cvb724

Removed: optical drive, kbd, mouse, hard drive, printer. It has only one stick of RAM (512mb)
Switched power on at the wall, this time I needed to use the on off switch to start the computer. Started ran POST 2 beeps, screen gave messages about missing drives.
Tried with kbd connected : as above .
Mouse : as above .
Mouse & Kbd: as above .

With just optical drive: problem returned. Same for hard drive.
Disconnected all : problem remains.

I remembered that I had this problem about a month ago and it just fixed itself, but looks like this time it is here to stay.

The machine is a Dimension 2300 built in 2003

Regards,

Alasdair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom