Dell Dem. 8400 Keeps Shutting Down - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to DerekGoodson
Question Dell Dem. 8400 Keeps Shutting Down

OK Guys, Need some help on this one. I have worked on this Dell Dem. 8400 a couple times. The customer has a problem with it shutting down on her and the power button just flashing orange. Thing that puzzles me is that it doesn't shut down at any certain time? Computer isn't over heating in any way. Sometimes shuts down 2 seconds after she turns it on. I don't know what to trouble shoot anymore.... Any ideas on this one?

I would Love to have a Signature but I can't get the the ink to stick on the screen! Duh!

Owner of Derek's Custom Computers
Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: Dell Dem. 8400 Keeps Shutting Down

my guess is the PSU power fades out at certain times, try running it on basic stuff like , CPU, Ram , videcard(or onboard) PSU you know the basic stuff to get it to POST. If it still fades out then try a different PSU
BUt i still dont understand why the Power button flashes orange, call Dell and ask them , this will help you figure this out faster

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Dell Dem. 8400 Keeps Shutting Down

i would also think PSU, but as for the flashing light. it has some meaning, the user manual or service manual should have something in it regarding the lights and their meanings. but if nothing else i agree with ^ call Dell and ask them what the light is about.
Pentium D Dual core 2.8 GHz
Thermaltake Big Typhoon (CPU Cooler)
Radeon X 300 Series
Kingston 2 GB RAM
2 Seagate 160 GB HDD 7200
Thermaltake 500 Watt PSU
Sony 17" LCD Monitor
Thermaltake "Tsunami Dream" case
Pioneer DVD RW
Closed Thread