Dell D620 Running so HOT! CPU at 100%.........VERY SLOW! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazzy67

Solid State Member
I have 2 Dell D620 Latitude laptops. One was running very slow and was getting very hot so I figured there was a problem with the cooling fan. I built my own desktop successfully so I figured I would crack open the laptop and see what was going on.

I found a clump of dust between the fan and heatsink. After cleaning out, as a precaution, I replaced the cooling fan, and added a new dab of Artic Silver thermo compound between heatsink & CPU, since the existing was dried up.

After putting everything back together, I still have the same problem.........I am running SpeedFan for diagnostics.

After turning on, temp runs up to 175deg f within 4-5 min and then fan kicks on high speed and cools it back down to 82f, buy CPU is running at 99-100% and the system is almost locked up.

Any input on what else would not be functioning properly??
Damage done to heat sink because it got too hot previously??

I have 2 identical machines, so I can swap parts to experiment......maybe I will try swapping the heat sink, but looking for feedback before I tear it down again!

Any other diagnostic programs I can run to isolate the problem???

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Paul:grin:

Try giving the cpu a good cleaning and add on some new thermal grease.
Tuniq-X2 or artic silver 5 new model will help you out, and keep your cpu from burning up.

Thanks for your reply!

I checked task manager and found svchost.exe hogging 99% cpu. I ran some spyware & malware software and it cleaned everything up!

Running Smooth again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom