Dell 24" lcd - can't get full resolution w/ DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I'm running a Dell 2405FPW 24" lcd on a radeon x1300 pro, and right now, via analog. With anaolog I'm able to get the recommended 1920 x 1200 resolution, but when I go to DVI I need to "force" the resolution, and when I set it to that forced res it does the "zoomed in desktop" thing where the screen pans as you hover over the corners, so at any time I'm seeing maybe 1/4 of the desktop. Might be 1920 x 1200 but it could fill up a 40" screen.

At first I thought the vid card wasn't powerful enough for that resolution, but I've read everywhere that it's fine. I read somewhere that the monitor has some chip or something in it that tells the card or the computer what it is and what settings are or should be? Well, when I go into ATI Catylist, the selected display, running at 1920 x 1200 is labelled "hp f50 [ Single ]". Could this be the problem? All dell drivers are up to date, and nothing seems to change that HP listing, and that seems to be what's limiting all of my settings.

It's a refurb that I got dirt cheap from someone my dad knows at dell, so it's pretty much up to me to figure out what's going on - no exchanges or dell support or anything. I'm guessing it's just missing or has broken whatever should be telling the video card what monitor it is, but that may not even be possible. Basic XP display props say it's the dell 24" on the x1300, it's just catylist that refuses to change from HP.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom