Delayed start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

et146

Solid State Member
Ok, I have a computer built by Pc Audio Labs in 2006. The problem started a while back when I turned on the start button and nothing would happen. Then 10-15 minutes later it just started up on it's own. I thought it was the switch, so I disconnected the wires from it, but that wasn't it. Now I have to touch the wires together. But the result is the same, I touch the two wires and if I'm lucky it will start 10-15 minutes later. I have an Asus A8V K8t800 motherboard. It never ever starts right up. Any ideas? Thanks

Check the power LED cable that comes from the power button to the motherboard. Take that off and 'short' that connection with a screwdriver (there should be two pins, if you short the two pins together the computer starts, that is all the power button does). If it starts right away you know the problem is the power button itself and you either need to replace the button if possible (depending on case) or just purchase an entirley new case.

If it doesn't start right away and takes the 10 to 15 minutes to start up (defining starting as the power supply starting up, NOT 10 to 15 minutes for Windows to load) then you need a new motherboard.

Thanks for the response Lexluthar. I pulled the power led off and touched the 2 pins with a screwdriver and nothing happened. Then the power supply started up in about 6 minutes. So, that means I need a new motherboard? ****, I was hoping it would be easier than that.

Yes, that would be it. You could try a new power supply if you have a spare. But if you are getting the same result w/ directly shorting the power my thought is the motherboard. If you have an extra power supply or could borrow one it would definately be an easier and cheaper fix (if a new ps works).

I tried an experiment. I had an old pc and i took the power supply out (150 watt). I unplugged just the main plug from the power supply in question. I plugged the old one into the slot. As soon as I connected the power cord, the computer turned on. I think the bad power supply is 250w but I can't see the markings on it. So, does this mean that I could just buy a new power supply to solve the problem? And, what do you recommend for a PS. I really appreciate the help.

Okay so you do have an extra power supply. Install it and see if you can get it to start normally (meaning pressing the power button).

If it does instantly work then all you need is a new power supply, which is easy and cheap. Do what I said above, let me know if that works (not just instantly turn on, but turn on properly w/ the power button). If it does give me the spec of your computer and i'll point you in the direction of a few power supplies.

It worked like a charm. I disconnected the switch quite a while ago and have been touching 2 wires together. But with the different ps, I could turn it on and off instantly. But it wouldn't boot up completely, I'd just get a gray screen with no cursor. I don't know my specs but the ps with the problem is an Antec sp-450.

Turns out the power to the cd burner was disconnected, so no more gray screen. Thanks Lexluthar for all the help and power supply suggestions. I plan on ordering soon.

That's weird...I don't see how not having power to the disc drive would cause a gray screen lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom