Delayed Power Normal? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Delayed Power Normal?

Hey guys.

I just finished putting together my rig (every single part is brand new). I finally got my computer to turn on but it has a delayed boot that doesn't seen normal.

What happens is that I push the power button. The computer turns on for about 0.5-1 second then everything shuts off. Then after about 1.5-2 seconds the computer automatically turns back on (I never pressed the power button a second time). By then, the computer seems to be running fine (I didn't leave it on for long since I still have to install windows and I'm just afraid to let it run longer).

I'm just wondering if this is normal or I should look into what went wrong when putting my rig together. This is my first computer is ages so I'm leaning towards user error than some faulty unit.

Raw P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Delayed Power Normal?

Curiously, did you make changes in the BIOS? Was it the first time it was booted since power had been fully removed from the unit? Does this happen EVERY time you go to power the unit on?

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

almost sounds like the Power Good signal from the power supply to the motherboard is taking too long.
What brand name and wattage is this power supply in your pc?
Are you running a video card? again, brand and model number?
How many hard drives are you trying to power up?
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm on my phone but this is the build.

Intel Core i5-4690K, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've been busy since my original post but soon I'm gonna check the wires and try turning it on without the GPU.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Could be trying to load wrong RAM settings. Try setting the speed and timings manually in the bios to the RAM.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just unplugged everything (left cpu/fan and ram) and only plugged in the 24pin and CPU pin power supply cables. I left the 2 sticks of ram and had same problem but when I only used one it looked like the problem was fixed.

I'm sorry PP Mguire... But can you explain what I need to change? I remember reading from the reviews of the ram that even though the sticks say 1600 it actually comes stock at 1330. Should I change them to 1600 and see what happens?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Looks like after changing the ram from 1330 to 1600 it works now. But was this supposed to happen when I had 1330 setting?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

And I found a second reason why my problem was occurring. There is a button on my video card that switches between bios. I think when I had enable UEFI I would be the delayed boot. I pushed the button and it looks to be good.

So it was both the ram and the video card bios that gave me initial problems.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Invalid RAM timings or speed would cause that. It would try booting, detect wrong settings, reboot with optimized settings.

If it's fixed, nothing else to worry about.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote