Dead UPS - Tips on reviving Lead Acid batteries? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 725
Default Dead UPS - Tips on reviving Lead Acid batteries?

About half an hour from where I live is a wonderful government surplus store that tends to stock a lot of used computer equpment. A while ago, I was fortunate enough to come across a 100VA filtering UPS for $5. I bought it not caring in the least about it's battery condition. It works fine, but just now I ran a self battery test on it. The test lasted all of 5 seconds, whereupon the UPS decided to begin charging again. I am wondering if there is a good method out there for reviving the lead acid battery I beleive is in this thing. Right now, I am planning on simply exercising it. Does nayone have experinece with this, or some good links. I read that there is a rather interesting tool out there that can fix sulfating in these batteries, but I have no desire to buy anthing, and preferably do not want to dismantle the UPS.
__________________

digitaloracle is offline  
Old 08-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default

hmmm, that's obviously why you got it for $5.
if you don't want to dismantle the UPS to fix it or buy another battery for it, then I'd say you just lost that $5
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,134
Default

i thought with the lead acid batteries you had to refil them all the time? or am i wrong?
joshd is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,574
Default

Is it an actual lead acid battery? Or is it a gel cell or some other newer sealed type? If it's a real lead acid then you can fill it up with distilled water. Don't pour the old stuff out, but if you need to just top it up until the water line just covers the plates. Otherwise you just need to condition it by recharging it lots of times. Unfortunately since lead acid batteries suffer from the memory effect it might be dead. They don't like to be fully discharged.
__________________


\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'



m3trj is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,134
Default

on really old ones, dont you need to replace the plates? i thought electrolysis corroded them?
joshd is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,574
Default

Yeah you do but it's just not worth it, might as well buy a new battery.
__________________


\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'



m3trj is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 725
Default

I was afraid of that. Oh well, it still filters power (it is doing so right now) and it will eliminate power flikers. Blast, a new one will cost me $350 (so you see why I don't care about the $5). Where can I buy new batteries for it?

EDIT: Just checked, and it will cost me 129 - 200 for a new battery. I might as well buy a new ups, this one doesn't have a USB port - just serial, which my computer does not have.
__________________
AGP won\'t fit in PCI-E... unless you use a really good hammer. ~Trotter
digitaloracle is offline  
Old 08-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,013
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default

You zap it with a high voltage

110 volts, just quikcly brush it past.

Or if you want my new method, use doubble the battery voltage, hold for 5 seconds, wait 5 seconds, hold 5 seconds until the voltage is right.

EDIT: WEAR SAFTEY GEAR
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.