Dead motherboard replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverStream

Baseband Member
Hi! I just had my motherboard replaced because it kept shorting out. But now with this brand new, shiny DFI LanParty SLI-DR, I get no output. All my voltage rails read green on my PSU.
What happens is when I turn on the computer, all the fans and lights and everything come on but I don't get the 'beep' noise, the screen doesn't come on and the HDD 'working' light stays on for a while then goes off. The computer would seem to work absolutely fine otherwise. The weird thing is that when I remove components like all the RAM, all the HDDs and the graphics card it does exactly the same. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thank you very much, SilverStream

P.S. I have tried:
-Resetting the CMOS (Jumper on the mobo)
-Taking the computer apart and putting it back together (unplugged then plugged everything back in again
-Posting on this forum

try setting up the motherboard outside of the case on a none static, none conductable surface. such as the anti-static bag it came in.
Chances are, the board is shorting out on the case somewhere!
or a buggy component. start swapping parts.:p
have fuin cuz ive been through it all and now its been 4 months without a working computer. my motherboard suddnelty went dead one boot up. and i got no video at all. tried everythiong got a motherboard replacement from MSI and that one posted stating Floppy drive and controller inializing and then it stops there with no video.
P.S the otherboard didnt post at all.:angry:

:( i miss CSS HL2 COD2 and Doom3 FarCry and all the other great games i bought and cannoth play. everything worked great for about 6 months then nothing at all. now my MX1000 just sits there.

I would try that memory in another puter and see if it causes the same problem. Sounds to me like the memory is bad given that you get the same problems installed or not!!

Edit: swap out the power supply with one you know is good (from a friend or another puter of yours). A faulty PSU can do the same thing.

ah nuts! that is gunna be difficult, lol. All my friends have crappy computers with 20-pin PSUs and mobos. I should get some better friends! I tried the RAM in a pretty ancient PC and it workd fine (the RAM not the PC. The PC's HDD is wiped). And the PSU works fine in a 20-pin mobo, but I can still be unsure about the other 4 pins. I'll pop it down to PC World's Repair Shop tomorrow and see what they find. This depends how costly it is to pay some guy to stare at it, scratching his neck with a screwdriver. Anyway its worth a shot. Thanks and keep 'em comin!

Hold on: If you have digital multimeter. Fire up the board with all the stuff connected. Test the voltage to the 12v rail first and then the 20/24 pin power connector. The voltages under load shoud be no less than 5% (no less than 11.6 volt for the 12v rail etc.). Check the black ground wires everywhere as well. If you have over .0010 vDC on any gournd your mobo is "current leaking" and is faulty. You do this by connecting the black ground to the PSU via an alegator clip...be sure to take the roach off first :). Then insert the red tip into the attached psu 20/24 pin and 4 pin 12v rail from the top (it is called back testing)>

POST requires adequate power supply (assumed good), an at least partially functioning motherboard (suspect), a speaker (may be integrated on the motherboard) and a working Processor.

Check your processor and ensure it is properly mounted. No beeps means either the Processor, motherboard or both are defective (assuming a good PSU).

Dngrsone said:
POST requires adequate power supply (assumed good), an at least partially functioning motherboard (suspect), a speaker (may be integrated on the motherboard) and a working Processor.

Check your processor and ensure it is properly mounted. No beeps means either the Processor, motherboard or both are defective (assuming a good PSU).

Heck no!! A faulty PSU can run all through system load and then cause random reboots and other issues. Not true.......Anyone who has worked with PC's for a long time knows that a faulty or failing PSU can mimic a huge number of problems...........Test the PSU if you have a Multitester like I suggested. Sheesh!

OK. I am just about to buy a digital multimeter. PC World charge £70 just for them to have a look at it. Thnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom