dead hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyE

Baseband Member
Trying to get an old Gateay running for a friend. Upon booting there is a no os found error. I tried the hard drive in two machines with the same result. Seems to not even be detected on the ide bus and there is no sign of life from the drive. Can't hear it spinning up or anything.

There are some pictures my friend would really like to recover. Provided I could find one, think it's worth changing the circuit board and seeing if that helps? Got any other ideas?

This is a quantum fireball from an old pIII 500mhz machine.

If the hard drive is actually dead, there is little chance of you being able to recover anything from it. Had the same thing happen to me; I just replaced it.

ya I agree at this point if its not even spinning up and you tried it in other machines its useless and there isnt anyway your getting the information off without paying about $1000 for a professional recovery.

yea I'm thinking the same thing. Just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had ideas. Thanks

the circuit board of your harddisk was damage ,find good one (with same model),and change it.that is ok

What hardisk says is posible you need one of the same model, and capacity. BUT, to open it up you need to build an acrilic box, make two holes and glue a pair of yellow gloves people use to clean around the house. Be sure to have the interior of the box clean. Then, put inside both drives and open them up. You need to be in a place with not to much of light drives are light sensitive. And hands oil sensitive and any other powder or subastance that's what the box is for.

your going to need to make sure not a speck of dust is on the plates the read and write heads hover on a cushon of air about 1/16th the thickness of a peace of paper so even a peace of dust will act like a bolder.

why ?
why?
just change the circuit board ,it is a easy easy easy thing
why do you said "BUT, to open it up you need to build an acrilic box, make two holes and glue a pair of yellow gloves people use to clean around the house. Be sure to have the interior of the box clean. Then, put inside both drives and open them up. You need to be in a place with not to much of light drives are light sensitive. And hands oil sensitive and any other powder or subastance that's what the box is for."

and "your going to need to make sure not a speck of dust is on the plates the read and write heads hover on a cushon of air about 1/16th the thickness of a peace of paper so even a peace of dust will act like a bolder."

what is the circuit board and where is it??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom