Dead CPU ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinky88

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I recently had a faulty stick of RAM. One of the contacts came of the chip whilst it was in the mobo and shorted the slot.

Is it possible that the short in the DDR slot has also damaged the CPU.

I have setup an entire new system, new motherboard, power supply and DDR I know to be good etc. When powering on everything powers on however, I do not get a BIOS post.

I personally do not think the CPU is shot ..but.. I thought I would ask the question.

Cheers.

it would be unlikely but have you tested each RAM and each slot? there could be a chance that 1 slot has died but if nothing works it could be either the whole motherboard dead or all of the RAM slot. I would suggest testing each RAM and RAM slots then trying to test the CPU on another working system that is compatible with the CPU you are using.

Finally got lucky, removed the AGP and immediately booted to XP. The CPU and DDR is OK everything running as it should with the exception of the AGP. I re-installed the graphics card, no post, blank screen, this card has been in the computer since I built it, never had a problem of any description. I have 2 PCs, removed the graphics card from the other PC and installed into this one, no post, blank screen.

Can someone please tell what is happening, it's really getting too much for me.

By the way advanced geek, you was correct, the CPU is OK .... thank you for taking time out to respond.

P4 2g socket 478 CPU
Acer M/B chipset sis651
512Mb of DDR PC3200
10g Seagate HDD
Antec 350w PSU
ASUS CD ROM
XP Pro SP3

This PC has the absolute bare essentials as it is used for the internet exclusively, I wouldn't dare to go on the net with my other machine .... there's not a lot that can go wrong ..ie.. what I thought until the no post blank screen. I didn't give the AGP a thought because it has been in the machine since I built it. I guess everyone with this type of problem suspects the M/B, CPU. DDR or the PSU is causing the problem, I know I did. I removed the AGP as the last resort after a couple of days of torture and was pleasantly surprised, it is now fully functional althought not quiet as fast as it was.

So you are using onboard video at this point?

Did you go into bios and set it back to agp when you reinstalled the vid card?

Well sound like the agp slot has gone bad.

You could test the old agp card in your other computer just to make sure.

The software on this machine is the bare essentials for the internet, no other software. I should have thought of it earlier, I simply re-installed the OS, now running as it should with the AGP installed.

Many thanks to all who have taken time out to help, appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom