dead computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I finally got around to looking at this machine again. The MB is a PCChips M825LU (v7.2A). Basic specs are "Socket A for Athlon XP CPU, FSB 266MHz and DDR266".

Any suggestions for a decent replacement for this board? I want to give my bro-in-law an option for repair and then he can weigh whether he wants to fix it or replace the machine.

If I replace it, I'd probably buy from Tigerdirect, so what in the list below would work best?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=179&

If nothing there is that good, other suggestions are welcome.

Thx

that pcchips mobo have integrated graphics+agp slot so i must ask , the new mobo gotta have integrated graphics too? or your *bro* have some agp card? , overall a mobo without onboard graphics will have more features , and will a stadard atx mobo fit to the case thats another thing , does it have alot of room under the mobo? what case is it exactly?

Yes, it does have integrated audio and video and another similar board will be fine.

I'll have to go downstairs and look at the board, but it seems to have some spare room. It's an ATX case, so most any board will fit in it.

remeber that youll have to do a repair install of windows because of the major hardware change thats going to happen....

~static-- off to bed...

dust affects only fans/optical drives laser any other dusty part nothin will happen to it

I don't really agree with ya there, I fixed someones computer once after their PC made BIOS beep sounds, I wasn't too sure what it meant at the time, but I cleaned it out (took out the RAM, and cleaned the contacts) and later found the BIOS beep code meant just that!

As for canooten, sounds like a pretty dead motherboard to me, tried maybe a new CPU as well?~

remeber that youll have to do a repair install of windows
Yeah, I'm prepared for that.

tried maybe a new CPU as well
No, I haven't tried that....I've got to look at the spare machine I have stored to see what kind of socket/processor it has to see if they are compatible. I'll probably just change the MB and see what I get then. If the processor is bad, I'll change that out then.

Thx

considering the mobo gotta have onboard graphics this will be the best choice http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=21952&CatId=179 but unfortunatly it doesnt come with an i/o shield (back plate) but will fit to any standard atx i/o shield (if your *bro* have the original case one that is) otherwise it will cost only 1.99$ http://www.directron.com/ioshield.html

darkninja said:
I don't really agree with ya there, I fixed someones computer once after their PC made BIOS beep sounds, I wasn't too sure what it meant at the time, but I cleaned it out (took out the RAM, and cleaned the contacts) and later found the BIOS beep code meant just that!
its very possible the ram was just badly seated and it wasnt a dust issue , i guess youll never know for sure

I think the i/o plate that's on it now is very close to this layout. At work now so I'm not 100% though.

Either way, that's the one I had picked out, so I'll order that and see what happens.

not really , the current i/o shield defintly wont fit

PCChips M825LU v7.2A
pcc3au.jpg

Biostar M7NCG
screenshot0043fg.png

Yeah, I looked at it last night. Found another board that fits the current back panel so I'll go with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom