Dead chipset or mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Dead chipset or mobo?

I've had the same system for a 2-3 years now with an ASUS A8N-E mobo and the nForce4 chipset.

The fan connected to the chipset wouldn't start when I was booting the pc, until I actually flicked it. I didn't know it was a well known issue with this mobo until it broke down!!!
I don't know if it's because the fan stopped working later on when I was using it, but I tried starting the pc and I got nothing. No beeps from the mobo and nothing on the screen (no BIOS), however all other fans are working and the led on the mobo is green and solid.

I've also had the problem where the pc wouldn't shut down when I press the power button, so I had to shut it down from the back of the power supply. It would start without me pressing the power button.

I have tried shutting off the pc, removing all of the unnecessary stuffs (Roms, HDs, ...), removing the mobo battery, moving the jumpers, replacing the jumpers and the battery, and restarting the pc. I still get no noise and nothing on the screen.

I don't know if that means I have fried the chipset and the mobo at the same time.
Thanks for any help you guys give me.
tony

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Content Team

Default Re: Dead chipset or mobo?

I had a problem like this a few years back where my the fans and lights would power up in my computer but I it would not post or beep. I finally concluded it was an overheating problem and I had to replace my motherboard. I had a similar problem a few months back where I would get no post but this time it was my video card. Replaced the video card and everything was fine.

Also when you ask if it's your mobo or chipset... well isn't the chipset apart of the mobo? I don't know how or if you could replace the chipset on a motherboard.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yep if chipset is bricked you need to replace the entire motherboard.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I guess I was just hoping that the chipset had overheated a little and I just needed to replace the fan...
But I guess I have to resign myself to buying a new motherboard.
Thanks for both your help.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Content Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneb021 View Post
I guess I was just hoping that the chipset had overheated a little and I just needed to replace the fan...
But I guess I have to resign myself to buying a new motherboard.
Thanks for both your help.
Ah I see. maybe you could buy an additional fan to blow on the chipset.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

To test your theory just plug in a 110mm or whatever size fan you have and place it to blow on the chipset heatsink.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread