Dead 4890? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Dead 4890?

Good day everyone,

So here is my problem. I recently build a rig - Phenom II 720, 4 gigs G.Skill ddr2, Asus M4A-78 Pro motherboard, Sapphire 4890 regular edition, and vista business 32bit.

It has worked very well for two weeks, until today. The computer froze while i was changing the screen resolution - the screen was blank at the time, i left it for a few minutes to try to unconfuse itself, and it did nothing so i had to turn the computer off manually.

I went to reboot the computer several minutes later and the video card fan speed went to 100% as soon as i hit the power button, also there is no video output.

I do not think the monitor is the problem here, i already made sure it works on another computer. I also tried to run the monitor using the onboard video HD3300 but i think i had disabled it in the BIOS two weeks ago so there was no video output there either. The computer does not make any other beeps or weird sounds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Dead 4890?

Will i assume you cant see your BIOS or you could set the on board to enable to test things out.
So I would try to find a video card even is it was a PCI card to run some tests.
It sounds like the vid card but were you getting any beep codes when it was running OK?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried another video card and again I cannot see anything on the screen, it does not seem to be sending a signal to the monitor, i tried 2 monitors and both the 4890 and my older x1950 and all gave the same result. I think the motherboard is bad but i don't understand why if the computer has been running for 2 weeks.

Also, no beep codes of any sort. I did unplug the video card and take it out, the onboard video is not re-engaging.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Do you hear anything else at all coming from teh PC? Do you hear the hard drives spinning up or anything other than the fans? It could be a heat issue, could have fried something on the mobo as well.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread