Is it dead? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Is it dead?

Well, I was playing Assassin's Creed, thought I'd add a little umph to the thing, so I overclocked my 8500gt a tiny bit, tested, worked fine. I also decided my 1.8core 2 duo needed a little upgrade, so I headed to BIOS, but noticed it was at 80*c, as standard, which I thought wrong. So I actually underclocked it a tiny little bit, to test it. And then, it's dead. No boot, no POST. Fans turn on, it lights up, but it just clicks every 10-15 seconds (as if rebooting, something failing).

I've tried resetting the BIOS, when I move the jumpers and start up, it does nothing, I can't tell if it's actually reset...

Before reset, clicks lasted a few times and stopped, after attempted reset, the clicks never stop...

Any advice would be great, I really don't want to buy a new cpu & mobo

Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Is it dead?

When you underclocked, did you lower the voltage with it? Because if you were receiving higher voltage than you needed for the frequency you were running at... That could cause a problem most definitely. Also, try the memory, you could have messed that up while bringing down the CPU frequency, and it might just be that. If after CMOS reset it is still not POSTing, then hardware failure is probably what's wrong. But I would make sure to check your memory first thing, and then go to your CPU and MOBO.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Is it dead?

The memory is fine I believe. I didn't change the voltage, because I literally underclocked by 10mhz, thats it...

I expect it's hardware failure, not sure if it's cpu or mobo?
Closed Thread