Dated laptop freezes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Dated laptop freezes

Hey guys,

I got a laptop that freezes when I load windows. It took me a couple tries but I got a fresh install on the laptop hoping it would wipe out any weird viruses or bugs. It didn't help. I can use windows for a couple minutes and it freezes. I don't notice a difference if I open a program or not. Usually in about 5 mins or less it freezes. I have two sticks of RAM and tried replacing each individual and both times it froze.

I'm guessing its a motherboard issue. I was hoping maybe someone had more insight into it before I took a gamble and order a new one off E-bay.

I'm not 100% on the specs but it is running Windows XP pro.
I think 1.3 GHZ processor
1 Gig Ram
Gateway laptop. I can get the model when I'm home if needed.

Like I said old but I would like to get it working for school!

Thanks !

Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dated laptop freezes

Get Memtest86+, burn ISO to a CD, and boot with it. Try to run at least 2 passes. If any errors come up, your RAM or RAM slot is bad.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

An inherent problem with all notebooks is heat caused by heat trapping dust and dirt being drawn inside, and no easy way for normal users to access the interiors for a thorough cleaning. Nevertheless, in addition to that recommended above, I recommend you remove all covers and slide in devices, including the battery and using a can of compressed dusting gas, carefully spray out as much dust as possible. Take care to hold the can level to prevent liquid from spraying and avoid spinning the fans with the compressed gas as they can be spun faster than designed limits allow, potentially damaging the bearings. Also ensure your fans are spinning.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I will try the above program. I do have two sticks of RAM and I have used one and checked both slots with each and it freezes. Program hopefully will tell me more.

As for cleaning it thats the first thing I did. Also changed the heat sink because I thought the fan was broken.

I used to use our air compressor and thought the fans made a funny noise when I spun them with air.... Guess I won't be doing that anymore! haha.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I use a air compressor all the time on electronics. I use wooden glue or Popsicle sticks to hold fans still while blasting.

Note when using a real air compressor on electronics, extra precautions are necessary. An oilless upright is best. Regardless of type, ensure it is drained first, limit PSI to 90psi, and always use an inline moisture and particulate filter.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────
Closed Thread