Data Recovery and Second Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpurdy28

Solid State Member
Okay... here is a second post.

My brothers laptop has seen better days. He doesn't take good care of his stuff. It will no longer take a charge through the AC adaptor and the battery is dead (oh and the battery latch is broken so it can't be removed).

There are files on the hard drive that we need to access for business and of course he doesn't do backups.

I have already attached the his laptop drive to my desktop computer and it is recognized by the BIOS and shows in Device Manager but isn't being recognized by Windows.

Laptop HDD is from an XP OS computer
Desktop is running Win98se

Is it possible to attach the laptop drive to my desktop as a secondary drive (slave) and access the data? Or do I have to format and overwrite the data to view the hard drive on the desktop?

Any knowledge shared would be knowledge gained. Thanks.

Get an external enclosure, and connect it via USB port on your desktop. You can view the data from your desktop, since when you plug in the enclosure, it will show up as another hard drive on your desktop.

Wow. Simple solution. When you attach through USB it can read a hard drive without having to do any reformatting? Excellent. I will have to pick up an enclosure asap.

Thanks again.

Yeah, it reads the hard drive as if you were plugging in a flash drive. It's really cool and comes in handy MANY times, especially if your a tech like myself. They run for no more than 80 bucks. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask bro.

The external enclosure worked like a dream. I have the files I need. I put the laptop back together and now it's my brother's issue to deal with! :)

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom