Data recovery company suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Data recovery company suggestions

I have a HD that has gone bad. 1 software programmer and 3 companies have looked at it and can't get anything off of it. The consensus seems to be a bad LBA. No one can boot the drive with any version of windows. It just locks up the computer. It was successfully booted in Ubuntu and we could see all of the folders, it just couldn't see any of the files. One of the companies tried running 2 recovery software programs on it and it could only get to 17% after 2 days before getting an error. It sounds like it needs to be opened up and put into a new drive. Where would you recommend sending it? It is a 3 yr old 750g 7200rpm Seagate SATA drive. It has been backed up a couple of months ago, but I have some recent work files and pics/etc that would be nice to have back. A place called 24hrdata acted like they could get it back, but it could cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. Is that a good company? What others would you suggest? What's on there certainly isn't worth $2000, but I would gladly pay $500 or so to get it back.

Thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default Re: Data recovery company suggestions

first id try going right to the maker

Data Recovery Services - Seagate Recovery Services

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the suggestion. I talked to them and they think it might be nearly $3,000 to recover the data. It isn't worth anywhere close to that, but they did seem confident that they would be able to get it if I was willing to pay for it...
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

search ebay, craigslist for something like this, but do realize you will have a higher probability of losing or having someone steal your data / drive.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA Repair Recovery Unbrick | eBay
Closed Thread