Data just mysteriously disappearing off my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I have the Western Digital VelociRaptor 10k drive SATA. It's about 9 months old now. On three occasions I have noticed quite large chunks of data just disappear off my hard drive. Just now I noticed 200 consecutive pictures disappeared out of one of my folders. I tried to use a data recovery program to get them back but there was no trace of them. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I have never received any type of operational error related to my hard drive and I don't have any random unexplained crashes. Is there a program that can test the drive for data retention? If it matters at all, my hard drive is often fragmented for I use a download accelerator that breaks files up into pieces and I often upload large amounts of data to my drive at once. I highly doubt that's relevant though.

The first thing right off if you are running XP would be to schedule the defrag tool to keep the drive maintained. If the drive is seeing a high fragmentation level a number of problems can come up.

For softwares the best would be the WD LifeGuard diagnostics you download for their brand of drive. That would report any bad sectors that may have appeared. You can select from the list for dos, dos cd, and Windows diagnostic along with the LifeGuard versions at WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD VelociRaptor

There have been a lot of complaints about the velociraptor drives from WD... But not as many as raptors as far as I know, run some sort of defragmenter on it often, and make sure that you keep it cool...

With a drive like that intended for higher speed you have to keep those well maintained. Once the volume becomes too fragmented the OS installed will see a long list of problems appear. But run one of the diagnostic tool from the support site anyways.

Just out of curiosity do you have any young children. I have had a few files mysteriously moved by my son. I thought they were gone until I searched for them.

I'm just wondering if you ended up mixing downloaded files in with the rest and accidently moved or deleted them in the process. You may created new folders with the same folder name in separate directories as well.

No one other then myself uses my computer. There was no possibility that the files were overwritten by another folder with the same name because Windows does not allow folders with the same name in the same directory. Also I checked and the drive was not that fragmented at the time of the loss. It was only about 15% fragmented.

If you copy another folder with intend between two explorer windows you would generally see a confirmation prompt. But your mention of downloading and uploading seeing a high of fragmentation leaves room for many problems like unintentionally overwriting a folder, being in the wrong folder when going to delete a large number of files, or now seeing bad sectors on the drive resulting in data loss.

With bad sectors Windows would no longer be able to read the data on them. That would result in seeing files split into fragments and no longer visible. The best advice now is backing things up off of the drive while you can and running the diagnostics tools from the support site to see the drive is seeing defects.

Well being that that drive runs hot normally and you use it for p2p.. thats like running a server off of it, the drive spins at a high rate for lengths of time and defragging it will also keep it going.. sounds like it has no time to cool down. when you have a drive that runs hot never run p2p on it, give it a rest, put a fan directly in front of it, don't over defrag it.

sounds like a failing drive. notice any noises?

Well being that that drive runs hot normally and you use it for p2p.. thats like running a server off of it, the drive spins at a high rate for lengths of time and defragging it will also keep it going.. sounds like it has no time to cool down. when you have a drive that runs hot never run p2p on it, give it a rest, put a fan directly in front of it, don't over defrag it.

sounds like a failing drive. notice any noises?

The drive does not run hot. Even when put under a very heavy load, the drive is not even warm to the touch. Only the Raptor X's got hot. The VelociRaptors produce virtually no heat. Furthermore I have one of the best cooling cases on the market so even if it did run hot, the case would keep it cool.

I ran the WD's extended test and the drive is good according to the test.

No there are no noises beyond the normal seeking sound of the R/W head moving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom