DArse Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candlemandav

Beta member
I skewed up Royally....On my main internal hard drive, I had partitioned it into two areas...drive C: and the new drive A: This was months ago. On A: I stored a bunch of raw movie files....

Long story short....I went and reformatted Drive A: that used to be known as VOLUME A:, I changed the name to L: and reformatted it.....I didn't want to do this. This data went into nether world...

All of the recovery software that I've seen says not to run the software on the drive in question. Since it is my main drive where the OS is running, other than swapping out the main drive, reinstalling the OS, the drives ect...what the h e ll can I do?

All info is appreciated, even if the words 'You can retrieve it" is all that is stated as I'm freaked I may have lost this for good.

C: is your main drive. I'm not even sure why Windows let you name the other one A: as that is normally reserved for a floppy drive (even in the BIOS).

Install the recovery program(s) on C' and point it/them at the current L:.

If you are successful, great! If not, it will be a lesson you will not forget.

With Windows Vista ad Windows 7 we now have the option to use letter A:\ and B:\ as drive letters. Since floppy drives are all but extinct Windows and Microsoft have unlocked thaw letters for use. ;)

As for the problem at hand, you said you had a second drive. Your main drive C:\ and then a second drive A:\ in which you renamed to L:\ and formatted. Why can't you use the recovery software and restore the files to the C:\ drive when they were on the L:\ drive?

That way you are not using the same drive as the one the data was formatted from.

Just to update for others' future reference....

Since the majority of my files were HD movie files, I searched for a program to retrieve .mts and .mov files. I highly recommend the following program...Media Investigator 6...They have two prices for data recovery, a one time $20 fee to recover files one time (unlimited based on one scan or a $50 fee for unlimited uses.) The program allows you to search multiple file extensions and it does a thorough job. It can be used on hdd, memory cards etc. The reason I chose to get the $50 plan was that I needed to run multiple scans to reduce the time it takes to run the scan (it was an almost 500GB drive partican). I was able to retrieve all of the files I needed and from what I can tell, they have been preserved in their original quality. It took over 12 hours to run the scan and transfer them. Be sure you have ample memory available to store the file on a separate hdd that is seperate from the source. The one thing that really sucks though is that the .mts files were chopped up into a multitude of smaller files which will make it a ***** to get back together, but beats losing everything. I need to look into advanced settings to see if I can fix this aspect. Also, of importance for those searching for .mts files (panasonic, sony etc.) it does not find .mts files, but rather the files are .mt2s. Don't even want to begin to ask why this is the case, but if anyone is trying out different data recovery programs, and tried searching for .mts files...change the parameter to .mt2s and it could work. It did for me. Last, if you're ever in a situation like I was understand that if you don't write over the hdd or card in need of repair, then you have a better chance of recovery. That is vital to understand. I wish anyone luck having the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom