Damn my cpu is fricken hot! bad temp sensor maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

The Water Cooling Guru
OK all im running an abit IS7-E2 with a gig or ram blah blah see sig for details.

Upgraded to a 3.2ghz p-4 prescott though

got a zalman 7700 alcu installed it used as5 and the works

use temp monitoring software my idle temp right now is 52C and for all you dislexic or lazy ppl out there thats a whoppin 126 degrees f

now i touch the heatsink on the cooler and its cold like actually cold

so im either guessing that somehow i scred up the hsf install of my temp sensor is bad what do you all think

Wow. That is cool dude. My cpu runs at 70 degrees c. 50 is no prob unless u have a water cooled cpu. My heatsink is cold too man dont worry about it.

i have a 3.2e northwood that supposedly runs cooler than the prescott (at a premium price of about $50 more) but it idles at 50 and runs 65 load (using a third party copper hs + as5)

52C at idle with a Prescott sounds normal. For a Northwood, that might be a problem.

What temp monitoring programs do you use. Try several of them and if they report the same thing it's probably fine.

But I wouldn't worry about 52C at idle with a Prescott. They get notoriously hot that is why many people don't like them.

I'm unfortunate to own a Prescott as well but if you can get adequate air flow and if you use the casing design as prescribed/approved by Intel themselves and have a fan blowing through the "special" CPU vent of the casing which increases cool air for the CPU fan you can decrease the temp greatly.

I use to idle at 50C. Now I idle at 37-38C and load at 50-55C with 60-62C max at 100% load.

I believe the threshold for Prescotts is around 70-75C. Once it gets to those temps and if you're operating for a long period of time your CPU will probably die out in a couple months or less.

ilyushin said:
Wow. That is cool dude. My cpu runs at 70 degrees c. 50 is no prob unless u have a water cooled cpu. My heatsink is cold too man dont worry about it.

If he had a water cooling solution it would be much less than 50C. It would be 50C on load...at idle that is hardly cool.

I remember one poster here has a Prescott running lower than 30C at idle with only case fans blowing so no heatsink modding and etc. That is remarkable.

well still i paid a good 45 bucks so i wouldnt have temps this high

does anyone else has a zalman 7700 here?

Hmmm. So my prescott 3.0 runs at 70 thats bad eh? Wow thats lame i bought a thermaltake for like 40 bucks... got 4 fans blowing. I used some silver thermal compund that i got from best-buy guess that might be the problem. should i switch it to as5?

ilyushin said:
Hmmm. So my prescott 3.0 runs at 70 thats bad eh? Wow thats lame i bought a thermaltake for like 40 bucks... got 4 fans blowing. I used some silver thermal compund that i got from best-buy guess that might be the problem. should i switch it to as5?

Artic Silver works wonders. Running a Prescott at 70C is bad. The highest I have ever seen it run was 85C. That's just asking for it. If you had an Intel Board you could dl Intel's Monitoring App and it's warning is set off at 69C. But I believe for Prescotts Intel recommends you bump the warning by 5-10C.

Does your case follow Intel's "special" design? I know that manufacturers who build PCs with Prescott must adhere to that design but people who upgrade might not, since they will probably be using their current case.

On the Intel site there is a place somewhere on their website that shows a diagram of that design and the case models which adhere to them. If I can find it I'll link it for you. But basically the case has a side vent aimed parallel to the CPU fan. Inside the vent is a tube. All of this is suppose to maximize the air flow going into the CPU fan. What you can do and is a cheap and non-dangerous solution is place a table fan a couple feet away from the vent and let it blow into it. Just by doing that I decreased my idle temp by 10C. This is without modding the heatsink, using thermal compound, stock CPU fan and heatsink, no additional case fans and etc. Just a simple fan blowing into the vent, kind of emulating having the side case completely off. Also, I make sure that my GPU, APU and other PCI devices are as far from the CPU as possible. Room temp is around 24C.

But Prescotts get hot and they use a ridiculous amount of power like 103W. No overclocker would buy it. Infact, if you're buying a P4 stick with Northwood. Prescotts were a disaster and they run slower and worse than their Northwood counterparts.

EDIT: I made a TON of mistakes. Sorry if you read this post before and went huh? I fixed the errors like sentence placement.

Well thank you very much. I have a lian-li pc-601b case. there is a fan sitting right next to the cpu and there is the power fan. The one that is sitting right next to the cpu fan is blowin out. That doesnt really make sence maybe i should switch the fan around. I just got everything for the computer i didn't re-use my other computer. I'll download that app and see if i can get it lower. Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom