Damaged HDD Data Recovery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Damaged HDD Data Recovery

Could anyone help me?

I have a damaged HDD!

How is it damaged?! Well it's damaged because it fell about 2 inches in the case while it was on (my fault for not putting it in properly). Then there was a electrical burning smell, and now my computer doesn't recognise the Hard Drive

But I really want that data back, there's every photo I've taken on there, all my Uni work EVERYTHING important to me.

I don't think that any data recovery software will work, so does anyone know of a good data recovery company in the area of Lichfield/Staffordshire?! (I know it's a lot to ask but also cheap!! - I am a student!)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak
Default Re: Damaged HDD Data Recovery

When my HDD started failing to boot, then eventually became useless, I stuck it in a spare external enclosure I had lying around and I hooked it up to a working computer and suprisingly, I could read and move the files, so I just backed up all the needed files and afterwards, tossed the failed HDD away.

If your files are worth enough and you don't have a external enclosure, it's more than worth it to buy one, after that, you can buy a spare HDD in the future and use the external as a backup drive, win win situation!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Re: Damaged HDD Data Recovery

Thanks for your reply, where could I buy a cheap good external enclosure? I would like to try this because the cheapest HDD recovery company I've found is almost 300!

And also would a external enclosure work if there is an electrical fault with my HDD?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to helix2301

Tiger Direct has ones for very cheap. I got mine there has sata and ide capabilities. Very good piece of equipment.
HP Pro, A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCTS
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for suggesting them, but I live in the UK though.
Closed Thread