Damage to HD 4870, or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
After my most recent crash (doubt I am just noticing it now) I have started to see like this extremely strange thing going on with my screen. It's like some pixels are in motion, similar to white noise on a tv, like a slightly grainy image. It's only noticable on like bright colors and sharp images on the screen. For some reason I figured maybe screen refresh rate would influence it somehow, and so I upped the refresh rate to 75, and my whole desktop image (default windows 7 wallpaper) was like in motion/grainy, it was ALOT worse.

Is this a result of damage to my graphics card after overheating and crashing? Or could this be the result of my monitor going bad? It's a really really cheap 99 dollar 17 inch.

This thing is driving me crazy, at first I thought maybe my eyes were messed up or was seeing things.. Has anyone had this before?

It sounds like the video card is trying to die. Is the card still under warranty? If the warranty is out of date I would "carefully" remove the heatsink assembly from the card, clean it and the card itself with compressed air and a clean rag to remove the old thermal paste. Then apply new thermal paste, re-assemble the parts (don't forget to plug the fan in) and see if the problem is fixed.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

It sounds like the video card is trying to die. Is the card still under warranty? If the warranty is out of date I would "carefully" remove the heatsink assembly from the card, clean it and the card itself with compressed air and a clean rag to remove the old thermal paste. Then apply new thermal paste, re-assemble the parts (don't forget to plug the fan in) and see if the problem is fixed.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Thats the problem. My card was under XFX lifetime warranty until I removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. After applying new thermal paste the temperatures went higher than they were before.

Removing the heatsink is a pain in the *** because I need extremely small screwdrivers to be able to do so, and I had to borrow some. Then I have to put the plastic cover back onto the card which is so difficult to do because of the little plastic pieces.

If I sent the card back to XFX would they find out I tampered with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom