Daily Quiz: Troubleshooting 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timmy has built a new computer system including a pentium 4 S478 Processor. When he pushes the power button to turn on the PC, the PC turns on for about 1 second, the fans spin but only momentaraly. Same thing happens every time he trys to power up.

What is tims problem?

(I did this when i build my 1st computer.. i had to take it to a computer techy only to find...Stupid me!)

The problem timmy is facing here, i've had a similar problem with my first ever build. After completing the whole build i'd press the power button on the case and al the fans would start for a second and stop. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong. After more carefully looking at the MOBO manual I realized that the (CMOS JUMPER) was in the "CLEAR" position by default. Some MOBO companies do this to save the life of the CMOS battery on the self. After moving the jumper to the normal position, pressed the power button and like magic, the PC actually completed POST!
Problem solved.

There are other things that will cause these symptoms, but, i'm going to go with this answer...

Ok, to keep this thread going i'm going to post another Problem.

that wasnt the answer i was looking for :p

want the to keep guessing? or want the answer i was looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom