Dad's computer locks up at Picture Slideshow screensaver - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Dad's computer locks up at Picture Slideshow screensaver

My dad uses our old TV as his new monitor (16' in length, 27 1/2' wide) on a 260GTX. Often when his computer goes to screensaver which is set as his My Pictures slideshow it locks up and he has to reboot. This has been going on for the longest time. I've checked his DRAM settings in the BIOS to make sure his voltage was where it needed to be, we've tried using other screensavers and it still locks up as well. No viruses or malware on his comp. He's running Windows XP 32 bit Service Pack 3.

After going through every fix I could think of, my next guesses are upgrade his graphics card or upgrade to Windows 7. What do you guys think?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Dad's computer locks up at Picture Slideshow screensaver

Please reduce the tv's refresh rate to 60hz put it on 32bit.
Adjust the screen size to 1360x768 and that should perfectly fit the size for that 16inch tv-monitor.
If windows xp still has problems with it even after a sp3 update, I recommend you step up to windows 7 and see if that helps solve the problem.
Closed Thread

Posting Rules