D-link DGS1008G only alowing 5 computer to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
My absolute apologies Digerati, I now realise that I had it backward on both those pre-caffeine posts.
No problem. Thanks. That said, direct router to router is typically done with a straight Ethernet cable too. Note most routers have an "Uplink" or "Internet" port, normally connected to the cable/DSL modem. But they can, and often are used to connect, but isolate 2 networks by hanging one router off another through that Uplink port.

For the record, that is exactly how I isolate my business network from my home network - so I don't connect a possibly infected client's machine to my personal home network.

Again, crossover cables are special purpose, and most commonly used to connect computer to computer - on older systems when autosensing ports are not available, as seen here.

I had to look up TAFE to see what that was - I had not heard of it before. There is no nationwide equivalent here in the U.S., though there are many "community colleges", trade and technical schools that offer similar curriculums, many nationally "accredited".

The CCNA Cert provides a great introduction to the theory behind basic networking, TCP/IP, OSI model, etc. If you have let it expire, I recommend you re-certify, then go for the Intermediate and Advanced certs. You don't have to stick with Cisco, CompTIA and MS Certs are well accepted too, as well as several other lessor known, but equally good ones.

In many cases, companies look at Intermediate and Advanced certs (if current) as important as 2 and 4 year degrees if you have hands on "field experience" too. I highly recommend a focus on security. My experience maintaining secure global communications networks for the Air Force and DoD was instrumental in me landing a great job with a major IT defense contractor when I got out.

I personally think the Cisco courses are "technically" better, but many non-IT companies looking for IT people prefer MS certs because MS products are so entrenched in their day-to-day operations with Windows and Office on nearly all their machines, they incorrectly think they need to stick with one brand. The downside to any "branded" course, Cisco for example, if you take a Cisco course, you learn Cisco terminology using Cisco products.

But then again, if your local TAFE offers a 2-year degree in Computer Information Technology (called an AS - Applied Science - degree here), that will likely get you a better salary - unless you have years of experience on your resume along with Certs.

That said, I have dragged this topic way OT and I apologize to Mandingo for that, noting he has yet to return from his opening post. Sorry Mandingo. I am afraid you got a lot more than you asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom