D-link DGS1008G only alowing 5 computer to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I am trying to connect 8 computers to my D-link router and it is only allowing me to connect 5. Any ideas why and how to fix it?

I also need to be able to connect 10-12 computers up at my business. How do I go about setting up that many computers to the internet?

There has to be a setting on the router to only allow 5 on at a time. If you need more connections, get a switch. You don't need a business class one either.

There has to be a setting on the router to only allow 5 on at a time. If you need more connections, get a switch. You don't need a business class one either.

The D-link DGS1008G IS a 8 port router.... Why would he need more connections if it has 8 and he only needs 8 at home?

I'd suggest double checking that the DHCP server has been set to allow 8 ip addresses. You might try to manually serve out the ips to the computers. Not being wireless, you most likely wont be getting alot of temperary connections.

Now for 10 connections, unless there's wireless clients, you'll need a switch and/or a router combination that can accomidate 10 wired connections

You can router and switch together, which will probably the most inexpensive.

As above, my first thought was that your DHCP pool might be limited to 5 addresses. Can you confirm whether the additional computers get a physical connection to the router and then whether or not they receive an IP address? For your business it should be simple enough to chain a 12-24 port switch (personally I'd go for the 24 if there's any chance of expansion) to a router via a crossover cable. If it's an unmanaged switch it won't have DHCP on it, so the router should automatically be seen by all the computers and handle DHCP, at least it would in most cases as they tend to be configured like that by default.

You misunderstood me. To clear it up:

There has to be a setting on the router to only allow 5 on at a time.

Exactly what you said, check the DHCPser4ver has been set to allow all 8. I just was not sure in what part that would be.

If you need more connections, get a switch.

If he wanted to wire more people to the router, yes, as you imposed, he would need a switch.

Where in my post was I wrong..

chain ... switch to a router via a crossover cable.
Not a crossover cable. Crossover cables are a unique type of Ethernet cable used most commonly to directly connect two computers. You do not use a crossover cable to connect switches (or hubs) to routers. They get their name from wires inside the cable being crossed, compared to a standard Ethernet cable.

See: Crossover cable for more information.

These days it doesn't matter as much what cable you use between switches/routers, at least on a SOHO level. Enterprise level or old model switches/routers may still require it, but for connecting a switch and router you bought from Bestbuy, both crossover and straight through should work. Best practice probably to still use crossover, but not really needed for home application.

These days it doesn't matter as much what cable you use between switches/routers, at least on a SOHO level. Enterprise level or old model switches/routers may still require it, but for connecting a switch and router you bought from Bestbuy, both crossover and straight through should work. Best practice probably to still use crossover, but not really needed for home application.

Exactly, hehe. Yes it should be fine to use a patch however best practice and the traditionally held correct answer is to use a crossover cable. Digerati, you might want to make sure you're right before correcting someone. I gave my answer as such because it will work no matter what, if the switch and our router are auto cable sensing then the crossover will still work however if they're not a patch cable wouldn't.

Nitestick said:
Digerati, you might want to make sure you're right before correcting someone.
Actually, I do. And that's why I provided a link above, and more below.

Best practice probably to still use crossover, but not really needed for home application.
So again, I respectfully disagree. Again, crossover cables are special purpose cables. If you look in most SOHO network device manuals, I think you will see it will say to use a standard Ethernet.

I note D-Link DGS1008G Manual says,
Hub/Switch to DGS-1008G
These connections can be accomplished in a number of ways using a standard Ethernet cable.
And BTW, that DGS-1008G is a switch, not a router as I think was mentioned earlier.

The Linksys E4200 user guide says, "Make sure that your DSL or cable modem is connected to your router's Internet port using an Ethernet cable."

I do agree most modern devices can detect and auto-configure their ports, crossover cables are more difficult to find, especially in longer lengths and are more expensive because they are less common. If you build your own cables, but don't do it every day, building crossover cables can be confusing, and require special labling and inventory/storage to avoid mixing up with standard Ethernet.

And also, there are still millions of XP era machines and older network devices that do not use auto-sensing ports.

Nitestick said:
if the switch and our router are auto cable sensing then the crossover will still work however if they're not a patch cable wouldn't.
Actually, that is incorrect. A patch cable is a standard Ethernet cable. Therefore, if they are not autosensing, they will be expecting to see a standard Ethernet, and a crossover would fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom