Custom gaming rig won't power on anymore

Soulsabaz

Beta member
Hey guys, so this is my first time on the forums and I figured someone could help me out here. I built my rig 3 years ago and just yesterday I was just doing basic web surfing and it decides to shut off completely without warning. I thought maybe my PSU has finally died and so I decided to check by pulling the power etc, turning the switch off then back on. Now the very first time I tried this, the started up for a few minutes giving me an error saying there was a power surge and it shut off to protect the components and so I was just able to allow it to boot up windows. After a few seconds of that, the computer completely shut off again. I went through the whole power routine one more time and instead of actually booting up, my LED fan flickers for a millisecond and the PC won't power anymore.

Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 - 1GB memory stock over clock
AMD Phenom II Black Edition Duo Core 3.2ghz (I unlocked it to allow 4 cores)
ASUS M4A4785-M Motherboard
4GB RAM DDR2
Thermaltake TR2 600W

Now I would think that my PSU has just run its course but my tech buddy who helped me build this says it could be a problem with the motherboard.
What do you guys think?
I apologize for any "noobness" in advance LOL

Welcome to the forums! And dont worry about "noobness" as not everyone know everything about computers. From this it sounds like their actually could have been a power surge. Did any breakers go out in your house? If your sure that there was no power surge then perhaps your PSU went haywire. I honestly do hate to say this, but if it did surge, it could have severely damaged the motherboard or some other parts of the system. I would recommend you try using another PSU if you can, but something might have seriously gone wrong with the motherboard if it does not even start. All I can say is check the PSU, and if you board did get affected then try to salvage the CPU and the RAM and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom