Custom build crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proco

Solid State Member
Hey all, my dad recently paid one of his co workers to build a computer for him. Which I'm on now. My problem is it crashes all the time. It came with XP, but I put windows 7 on it to try and solve the crashes. IE will crash, Firefox will crash, I had world of warcraft installed and it crashed. I every now and then get a blue screen telling me my computer is shutting down to protect itself. I have absolutely no idea where to start. Please help me. :( I'll post my system information.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SAVAGE-PC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.70, 5/8/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Savage-PC\Savage
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 22.1 GB
Page File Space 12.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Download and burn memtest86+ to a CD, and run it for several hours. It sounds like this is probably a RAM issue, and memtest will test your RAM to see if there are any problems with it.

It could also be a hard drive problem, if you could run a hard drive error check (Windows can do it).

Edit: Nice-sounding machine btw - an i7 and 12GB of RAM :D

Download and burn memtest86+ to a CD, and run it for several hours. It sounds like this is probably a RAM issue, and memtest will test your RAM to see if there are any problems with it.

It could also be a hard drive problem, if you could run a hard drive error check (Windows can do it).

Edit: Nice-sounding machine btw - an i7 and 12GB of RAM :D

Thank you. :D I don't know what i7 is though?

I'll post back in a few hours with the memtest. Thank you for the advice!

An i7, as in Intel Core i7 - it's the computer's processor, it mentions it in the PC specs ;)

Your computer might be overheating if a message about shutting down to protect itself. Go check out your temperatures.

Your computer might be overheating if a message about shutting down to protect itself. Go check out your temperatures.

I have a digital screen ontop of the tower itself, says the CPU is sitting at 42c

Download real temp or core temp, just to double check the temps.
Get gpuz to check the temperature of the video card also.

Download real temp or core temp, just to double check the temps.
Get gpuz to check the temperature of the video card also.

Alright I will as soon as it's done with the mem test. Had to look for a my laptop. I need my internet fix. :D

Ran into a issue, the memtest86 freezes at 3%.
The timer stops counting at 4 seconds. Idea's?

So the memtest86 freezes at 3% and the timer clock wont count past 4 seconds. fml. I just noticed.

fml it didn't show up as me posting.. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom