Cubase 4 on xp64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo399

Beta member
I recently bought a new desktop from Dell, mainly to be used for music production. However, i wanted to keep xp as an operating system, but was only offered a 64 bit version, seeing as though xp sales ceased this summer.

When installing Cubase i choose the 32bit edition, but the problem i have when using Cubase is that some of the VST's cause it to crash, it comes up with a serious error message, or they just dont load.

Is this because of the fact that they are not designed for a 64 bit system?

Apparently 32 bit DLL files dont work with xp64, so i dont know whether to try and find a copy of xp pro from somewhere and see if that works?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks :)

32 bit programs should work just as well on 64 bit OS, have you tried reinstalling the program and choosing the other operating system or checking the manufacturers site for a patch or information on a fix?

It could jsut be that the software is not XP X64 compatible. It may be Vista 64 Bit compatible. But there is a big difference in the coding from XP x86 and XP X64. XP X64 is based off of Server 03 more than XP code. That could be why you have this issue.

Hi. I am currently running Cubase 4 on Win XP x64 no problem. Which version of Cubase 4 are you using? What is your sound card? The .dll files Cubase uses are for Cubase ONLY and have nothing to do with the OS. If you're running the latest version of x64 (service pack 2) and the latest version of Cubase 4 (4.5.2) which is a free download on Home :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net then it should be OK. By the way, how much RAM are you using? 4GB should be OK, although there have been a few issues running more than this. Nearly forgot! You have installed Cubase into the Program Files (x86)\Steinberg folder and your plugins in the Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Vstplugins folder haven't you? Hope this helps!

I have Cubase 4 running as well. Make sure your VST's are installed and working properly. The location shouldn't matter as I have the program and all plugins on my S: drive.

Im running Studio 4 and my soundcard is an EMU 0404 usb.

Its the latest version of x64 and its 4gb ram.

I've yet to get the 4.5.2 update for Cubase though.

However, i've just been testing the soundcard with Cubase recently, and as soon as i changed it in device setup from the default ASIO to the EMU i get a serious error message, and occasionly i get the blue screen thing at random times.

Starting to think its my soundcard that doesn't want to work with xp64?

There seems to be no new drivers for it on their site.

Ok so i tested Cubase with the default ASIO card on my computer, was fine for the first 30 minutes, yet still getting the "serious error" message completely at random:confused:

Most likely it's a problem with your sound card driver for the x64 version of XP. I would suggest contacting the sound card manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom