Crying! whole comp is fudged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I checked the monitor cable, the end that attached to the monitor seemed a little bent which is why I checked it with another monitor, both were flat screens of the same size.

I always screw it in at both ends.

also yes, the power was totally disconnect, I have to take the pc off of my cabinet to get inside, and the power cable doesn't reach that far.

My brother is a computer techie, so when he gets here after work tonight I'll make sure that nothing is out of place. If not, I aint got a darned clue...

Gaz

First of all... breath a second.

While I come across a lot of PCs like this, I will tell you that only a few of them actually don't eventually get up an running.

First of all, I suck at reading those long threads. If you havn't, try another moniter. If you for some reason usind a DVI-to-VGA converter, lose it. Finally, keep the monitor running, boot up the computer until you hear it start, hit DEL (or w/e bios key you use), and you may find you can get to the bios.

Assuming your case has a speaker in it, I want you to unplug the power, take out ALL of your Ram, plug it back into the wall, and boot. Are we getting beeps? Does the system realize we don't have ram? If not, I can promise you its either a motherboard or cpu error.

Please post back with detailed results. You can also contact me on AIM if you catch me there and I'd love to help you out. GL.

Bugger, no beeps.

I took out the ram, and it just does the same thing. I turn it on, the fans start, the green leds come on, etc... it sounds like its booting, but with no beeps I guess it is fudged in some way.

Gaz

Yeah, I definately think it is your motherboard then, everyone here knows that sound when you dont have RAM or a video card in.

Just for kicks, take out the video card as well and try it.
- If it does beep: your DIMM slots are probably damaged/fried
- If it doesn't beep: who knows how extensive the motherboard is damaged...

Either way, you will effectively need a new board. RMA it if its new, you're probably within some sort of manufacture warrenty...if you want the same one.

:-\

Have you tried your old VGA card? Could the new VGA card be defective?

Please post your system specs if possible including what kind of PSU and wattage.

Do you have a digital volt meter? Your borther is a tecchie...he must have one. Power on the system. Check the voltages for all the black ground wires for the 20 and 4 pin power connectors. If any of those black ground wires exhibit more than .0010 volts DC then your mobo has current leakage and is damaged. One other thing; Everything you have described could be due to a failing PSU. Swap out another PSU and see if you post with video. Just pull the 20 and 4 pin power connectors and hook up the swapped out PSU outside the case. Addtionally, you can check the voltages on all the 20 and 4 pin power connectors to your mobo. Those voltages should be +/- 5%. If they are low anywhere, your PSU is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom