Crucial M500 SSD slow windows 7 boot

yes

and I don't think it has to do with anything starting up as it did this straight away after I installed windows

Last edited:
yes

and I don't think it has to do with anything starting up as it did this straight away after I installed windows

Have you tried disconnecting your HDD's like I previously suggested? Saw some people had issues similar to that.

Friend got back to me, and he said his issue was because of old firmware, so not the issue with you.

Have you tried disconnecting the other 2 drives and seeing if boot times improve?

I installed windows with nothing but the SSD installed and the first boot was faster than it is now probably the same time as it booted on the old HDD. My theory is that at some point in the boot sequence the computer is taking time to fire up the extra HDDs.

So I don't really know how to overcome this

I installed windows with nothing but the SSD installed and the first boot was faster than it is now probably the same time as it booted on the old HDD. My theory is that at some point in the boot sequence the computer is taking time to fire up the extra HDDs.

So I don't really know how to overcome this

I'm not talking about when you installed Windows. I'm talking about disconnecting the drives now to test.

I'm not talking about when you installed Windows. I'm talking about disconnecting the drives now to test.

Carnage reread his last post, he did what what you suggested.
He stated his boot time was the same as his old drive.
I am assuming he means his western digital drive.
If the other 2 drives maybe slowing down the boot time the only thing I would consider.
Is switching out the old sata cables for new ones, sometimes it makes a world of a difference in speed.

Other than that just deal with windows booting up for a minute and get on with your life mikee. :)

ok i disconnected the other 2 drives and booted it spent only about 30 seconds on the windows screen instead of a little over a minute. IT still seems a little slow since I have seen ssds go so fast the windows logo doesn't even finish animating before you're at the desktop.

I know other people have used ssds along with HDDs and had fast boot time I wonder why I can't seem to get that.

Last edited:
Something on your HDDs is causing you to hang. And since I have the exact 1.5TB Seagate that is dying and sometimes causing exact that issue I'm going to point my finger at that. I would run Seagate's tool to see if you might have an issue with that drive.

As far as SSD bootup time 30 seconds is good for your rig. You have to realize that people with Intel rigs with UEFI bios, higher memory bandwidth, and faster single threaded processing will inevitably boot faster. Not to mention the M500 isn't the fastest ship in the world. Just be happy with the fact that you know what the problem is. I mean, 30 seconds is 30 seconds. That's faster than how long it takes me to walk 5ft to my kitchen and grab a soda.

As far as SSD bootup time 30 seconds is good for your rig. You have to realize that people with Intel rigs with UEFI bios, higher memory bandwidth, and faster single threaded processing will inevitably boot faster.

Your ssd boots up that quickly, holy **** man.
My recent 500gb western digital boots windows 7 and 8 in under 40 seconds or less.
Surprised for a normal sata hard drive to do that which I could careless for either way. ;)

ok i disconnected the other 2 drives and booted it spent only about 30 seconds on the windows screen instead of a little over a minute. IT still seems a little slow since I have seen ssds go so fast the windows logo doesn't even finish animating before you're at the desktop.

I know other people have used ssds along with HDDs and had fast boot time I wonder why I can't seem to get that.

Figured it was something with the HDD's, like I was suggesting.

Agreed with PP though, 30 seconds is pretty good for your setup. Should check out the drive like he also suggested to make sure there aren't any major issues with the drive, though too.

OP was complaining about a 30 second boot time, not me. Mine is quicker. Like I was saying though, 30 seconds is still quick. Who cares? I remember when XP used to take about 3 minutes to load on a Pentium 2. I've learned to not care about boot times.

Edit: As to the drive, mine was causing my programs to hang and anything I did on the desktop in Windows 8. In Windows 7 it just kept sending me the failed HDD warning.

Back
Top Bottom