crazy screen distortion (retrograde!)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooddiittyy

Beta member
My monitor flips out sometimes. At least, I think it's the monitor. Maybe it's the video card. At this point, I'm out of ideas.

The problem occurs when I load certain game titles (usually 2D, as far as I can tell) and sometimes when Firefox or IE attempt to open videos in-window. It seems to me like it would be due to the video card trying to force a resolution too small, i.e. unsupported by my monitor (21in) because it happens with games that are on the slightly-antiquated side (DX-Ball 2, Sonic 3, etc etc.). The pics I've included are the best way I have to describe what's going on.

(Won't let me post big pics, so go here: http://geocities.com/oddityaway/pics.html )

If it's hard to see exactly what's going on, imagine moving the cursor from right to left: the rightmost side of the screen seems to be folded in on itself, as is the middle part (where the brighter vertical, rectangular segment is) and when the cursor hits those parts, it will temporarily undergo what I can only describe as "retrograde mouse motion" as in, when the cursor hits the middle part going left, it will reverse direction and go right until it hits the other edge of the bright area, then reverse again. As if the bright area represents a loops coming out of and going back into the screen. (See crude Photoshop'd diagram.)

What I've done: Reformatted, switched HDs, reinstalled drivers (video card and monitor), switched resolutions, manipulated external monitor controls (to no effect whatsoever), switched video card parameters from fixed to "application specified" and back

What I haven't done: Broken anything. Yet.

If anyone's seen anything like this or has any ideas, please let me know. I've managed to stump the Viewsonic tech guys (they, of course, told me it was NVIDIA's fault...:) ) so any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz (<----this used to be fast!)
1GB RDRAM (<----this is still ridiculously expensive! dying tech!)
Viewsonic P220f 21in CRT
Gainward GeForce FX5900 Ultra 256MB (<----waste of $450!)
Typical running resolution & refresh rate: 1024x768, 85Hz
Max res.: 1600x1200 @ 75Hz
Min res.: 800x600 @ 150Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom