Crazy keybord? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Crazy keybord?

Hi! How are you doing?

I've a serious problem with my laptop's keyboard. The thing is that this morning, suddenly, it became crazy: for instance, every time I typed an "e" (or any other letter) on my keyboard the screen reproduced a group of characters, for instance: aiow.

I tried to restore the system, but it didn't work. So I ran an application called HP PC Restore, or something like that in Spanish. After doing that, the keyboard absolutely didn't work. Only some letters like Q, W, E, etc. But it is crazy because some minutes ago this letter (รง) worked and now it doesn't.

I usually take my computer to the bathroom while having a shower for listening to music. Maybe some water has come into the keybord, but I don't think so because I have more than one month doing that. Anyway, the problem began as soon as I had left the bathroom.

Eventually, I bought the computer 3 months ago with one year of warrantee. I bought in Spain (European Union), for which the warantee is valid in most European countries. Now I'm in the USA. I'd like to know if it would be valid in the USA. It's a HP.

Thank you very much,

Old 10-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Have you tried to go into control panel and Keboard and reinstall the drivers for it.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, I've tried it several times. In fact, I've used a tool called HP PC Restore that reinstalls all the drivers, etc.

The keyboard is crazier and crazier. Sometimes, the computer doesn't recognize the USB mouse. And when running the computer I must press F4 and after that ESC for making it work.

Maybe I should try to format the computer, but I suspect the problem is related to the hardware and not to the software.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Something may be jamming the keys.

Example, there is a jam in between some of the keys, and it pushes the four keys down, instead of the one.

How do the other keys on the keyboard respond, lets say for example "o".

What happens when you type "o"?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

well, first step would to be to call hp support, and see if you can get a replacement. if you cant, then try a fresh install using a different version of xp, 2000, maybe even 98, just to test if the keyboard is ok. maybe, have you tried a diff keyboard, like a usb one, or a ps2 one(if u got the port) and if worst comes to worst, i think you can pull the keyboard out and get a replacement. but for it being if the bathroom, that could do it, if you grabbed it with wet hands, tho the condensation of the moisture can do a number on computer parts(eg: i ran a desktop in the bathroom once for music, and internet when i was on the toilet, and one day it stopped working, so i opened it, and there was condensation on the motherboard)
Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 10-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

at first, there is no warranty subject because the damage is not concider brand fault. so try to make it by your self. open the case of the machine and pull out the keyboard. try to clean it with electroclean spray or pure alcohol. a lot of times worked for me in this kind of electronic mulfunctions.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you very much for your answers. I've just read them. I'll try what you have suggested me and I'll tell you.

Closed Thread