Crashing error, possibly due to OS and hardware compatabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

helshanks

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded my computer, here is what I got:

* Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

* Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5' Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1333ELK

* ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard -

*AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail

THE ERROR: Whenever I start up my computer, it crashes (the power just shuts down, unless it gets far enough to load windows) after about 1-2 min. It happened in the BIOS, which makes me skeptical of if it's the OS. But it I'm running XP Pro SP2. When I took out my old drive (with XP SP2 on it) It doesn't crash. So I tried installing the OS from the disk to the new 1 TB drive. After it formatted, about 1-2 Min into install, it shut down.

Additional info:
* If that 1-2 min managed to get me past windows loading, on the old drive, it would flash the blue screen of death and restart, then shut down again after 1-2 min.
*Tried safe mode, same error
*Re-formatted old drive after a few tried on the new drive, same thing happens after 1-2 min into the install.
*It doesn't crash in BIOS now that I don't have Windows on either drive, which takes me back to thinking it's an OS problem.

I would blame it on your board. Make sure first that your RAM is not the factor, by running memtest.

edit: Welcome to TF!

Okay, so I did more testing, from what I see, you got it right on. There were two most common issues for the plethora of threads I searched through. Dead motherboard and overheating. I had time to check the BIOS and found it was running from high 60 to mid 70s C (reasonable?) So that leaves motherboard or PS, which I don't think it is, because I ran it at the minimum possible and it didn't work.

If anyone else has suggestions, please comment.

and the CPU came with Thermal Paste already applied. I just applied more and it's running at 40 C. So we'll see what happens.

For a CPU, the max set by BIOS, when it fails to run, is usually 80C

The thermal paste provided by the manufacturer is crap. That's how they save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom