Crash/ Reboot/ No Message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I had put a message up in the Overclocking Forum, but I'm still getting crashes after putting things back to their original specs.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte, #EP35C-DS3R. I've got the Intel Q9450. Graphics card is a GeForce GX2, and I'm tweaking the fan control with EVGA Precision, so the temp on the vid card is cool (low to mid 70's C). Power supply is a BFG 800 watt. RAM is 4GB, 800MHz.

When I'm playing a graphically-intense game like Crysis, Timeshift, or Colin McRae's DiRT, my system will crash. I don't mean crash back to the desktop, I mean crash as in the system shuts off, and then automatically reboots.

I've read elsewhere on these forums somewhere that if you want the "message" as to why your system is crashing out (it'll give some "code" numbers???), then you go to System Properties, Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button, and then in the area that says System Failure, you remove the checkmark from "Automatically restart". Is this correct?

If my system then crashes out again, will I now get a "message" on-screen (like in a Blue Screen of Death) with some kind of "code" that will point me in the direction of the culprit of these crashes?

In the meantime, any ideas on possible causes of the system crashes while playing the games that I listed above?

GPU's temps are in the low to mid 70's C while playing the games. CPU's temp is 48C, and the four cores vary with high 50's C to low 60's C.

What do you think? Appreciate any info, tips, or suggestions.
Pez

Hello,

The tempo on your GFX card is still a bit high. My GeForce doesnt even hit 70 under full load. So i would get RivaTuner and turn your fans up more to lower the temp.

The problem is that when you put the card under load your GFX card is passing the threshold for the max temp. That is the only explination that i can come up with. Either that or it has more to do with what OS you are running with the 4GB of RAM.

Cheers,
Mak

Hi Mak; thanks for the reply.

I remember I've exchanged messages with you before on this forum. You had mentioned previously about how my OS of WinXP Pro doesn't "recognize" past a certain amount of RAM; I hadn't known about that so thanks! But could my 4GB of RAM be adversely affecting things? Could this cause my system to crash out & reboot?

And how about that other thing I mentioned, that thing about if you want the "message" as to why your system is crashing out, then you go to System Properties, Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button, and then in the area that says System Failure, you remove the checkmark from "Automatically restart". Is this correct? And if this is correct, will I get an on-screen message as to what is causing the crash?

Thanks for any more info.
Pez

P.S. Was it a typo you put there with "GFX"? I have the GX2 card; there's no "F" in mine. The GX2 is basically two 512MB cards pressed into one (for a total of 1GB of vid RAM) with a fan in-between the two cards. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that in the 70's under load for the GX2 is fairly "normal".

Hello,

Okay let me take this one at a time.

Yes having 4GB of RAM can adversly affect a 32 Bit OS. I have seen it many times. There are a coupel of threads related to this as well.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279
http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/32-bit-os-ram-limitation-181680/

Check those out for some info.

As for the restart. That is the area and the setup that you can use to stop the system if there is a failure. But not sure if that will help with this situation. That is mainly for systems that give a Blue Screen of Death. But you can try it for sure.

That stuff about the GFX. That is jsut a short way of saying your graphics card. I wasnt referring to your specific model. Jsut your GFX card overall. ;)

If the temp is normal then i would consider trying to make sure you have good ventilation in the case. Cause 70 seemd ab it high. If it is under load then that is about normal. Just a coupel of degrees higher.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom