Crap, WTF happened to my CPU? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Crap, WTF happened to my CPU?

Here is the problem, I was just doing my work then the font of my desktop and everything changes to a smeared look then the mouse pointer stops, and the pc turns off automatically without a warning or anything. I know this is not due to a virus because it had never happened before and this recently happened even after I reformatted my Hard Drive. It;s happened a few times then the pc doesnt turn on anymore.
So..., I opened up my pc just to see what's wrong. I took everything apart, and something happened (Idk what), the pins from the cpu went sideways, only a few of them though, they were not originally like that. I used an object to try to straighten it up but still no luck. Then i tried to put everything back but the back of the motherboard where the Cpu was, bends a little.

Is there a way to get the CPU back to its original shape?
Also, when i had it on for awhile, i began to smell plastic and it might have come from the power supply, might it have been the CPU itself?

Help me, Im only a beginner and dont know what exactly is wrong.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

that happened to me too. I was playing a game and pc turned off.
I was told to use a needle nose pliers and the pins came off instead of going straight so be careful.

That computer was only $1,000 so i trashed everything but the graphics card, power supply, and the hard drive cause those are the only things that where fine.

Definately be careful if your poor or if you spent over $200 for your cpu.
Since your swearing on the subject line i am guessing you don't got much money for another cpu. And i am guessing something fried cause you smell plastic melting.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Don't use needle nose pliers, for God sakes. That's rediculous, you're bound to pull the pins off... Get a mechanical pencil (without a lead in the tip), and use the hole to gently push the pins back into place.

Your bent CPU pins probably happened when you took it out, and probably has nothing to do with the original problem... It sounds like your video card died or something like that, but it's hard to tell at this point.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

hey somebody here told me to use a needle nose pliers but i forget who. Its not like i yanked on the pins i just used them to bend them back straight.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

i just use a razor blade to straighten my pins, works well.
Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

if you smell burning plastic check your power supply, happend me before
E6300 Core 2 Duo
2 Gbs OCZ PLatinum 800Mhz
250 Gb Western Digital
OCZ Modsteam 450W
7900GT Gainward
Flux Capacitor....SWEEEET
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dexaroni Send a message via MSN to Dexaroni

Use a mechanical pencil to bend the pins back, and for god sakes, DONT use anything metal, IE, needle nose pliers.

My CPU had practically all the pins on the left edge bent, and I was able to bend them back, and now it works just fine.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

a credit card worked well for me just run it between the pins no pushing or pullling
Q6600@ 3.0ghz
eVGA 680i A1
4x1gb Mushkin DDR2 800
2x8800gt xFx
Coolermaster Stacker 830
Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I pulled a pin off a processor once and it still works.
With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

the burning plastic might of been a component of the CPU because when the CPU pins are bend the heatsink isn't properly placed so the cpu might of overheated and damaged.
on the back of the motherboard the solder on the area u were talking about might of gotten cold heat and u need to Resolder it in order to fix it

BTW what kind of moran put ur pc together ?

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Closed Thread