Crackling Sound and Lag

Supernaut88

Solid State Member
I'm been having trouble lately with my PC. Admittedly it is 5 years old, however I don't really have the money for a new one at the moment.

What is happening is that when I run a game that it has never had any problems with before often everything slows down and the sound starts to distort with a crackling noise. This has been most obvious in Race 07 when there is a full grid of cars around me. Everything practically stops at this point. Normally I would chalk it up to the computer not being powerful enough but it has never had this problem before in that game. It sometimes also happens when watching a HD Youtube video. Some less intensive games such as Super Meat Boy seem to be okay.

I have also had an occasional BSOD on startup, I took a photo which you can see here.

I have the system information from dxdiag here.

My guess is the graphics card is on it's way out but apart this everything else is fine so I am hoping there is a fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.

I've tried re-installing drivers and it didn't work. I've even tried running older drivers considering the age of the card and that also didn't work. Currently I have a clean install of the latest drivers.

Under idle the CPU is about 50 degrees celcius and the GPU is 57 which has been the normal temps for this computer since I put it together. I'm using speedfan for these temps, is there something you could recommend for seeing temps under load?

Use Kombustor to load up your GPU and monitor the temps with it. Use Coretemp/HWMon and Prime95 to load up the CPU.

CPU idle is hot, and the GPU is a bit warm idle as well. I'd be willing to bet you need a good dusting and a repaste.

Okay so GPU hit 82 degrees under load and the CPU cores hit 65 and 68; they also cooled down really fast after I closed Prime95.

If you have any thermal paste I recommend just giving the GPU heatsink a nice cleaning and a repaste as well as the CPU heatsink just for ****s and giggles.

On the other hand, also do a complete malware and AV scan just to make sure your machine is clean. When running the game make sure no background programs are running.

Back
Top Bottom