CPU/Video refuses to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorby

Beta member
Hi,
I'm "attempting" to fix a Gateway GT4010 for a relative, and need some help w/ this one.
The Specs can be viewed at Direct link to it on Gateways Website
Doesn't list this or seem clear but it has..
1 250 GB Hard drive

It is stock, Nothing has ever been changed unless i said so here

The problem occurring is, it will turn on the fans and I will hear the HD clicking to boot but the power LED does not come on and no video.

Now at first I thought well maybe the PSU died. So I threw a ThermalTake 650W PSU inside. Booted up as soon as i flipped the switch on the PSU. Booted up into Vista just fine. Then i decided What the heck lets try a reboot make sure its fixed. No dice. Same problem happened again.

I then turned it off by flipping the PSU switch, then turned it back on No go, But I realize that It's booting up without me even touching the Power button, and it always waited for me every other time i fixed it. So I decide well maybe it isnt giving the PSU a chance to boot, So i hold on the power button on the case and it shuts off fine. Wait 5 minutes hit the button again and Woot right back into Vista. Tried a reboot again.. The problem occurs again.

Then I decided ill unplug everything besides CPU and motherboard, No go. I realize its very dusty and I then take the motherboard out while I'm cleaning all the dust out and try it without the case, still a no go. Huh. Well maybe a wire in the connections broke and has something to do with it, So I tried it without it, Nope. Since then I have not been able to get it to boot.

Now the motherboard does have a speaker on it, yet I haven't heard a beep yet..

I should also add i tried leaving it on for about 10 minutes, but the heatsink on the CPU only seemed Lukewarm but, it was a very small difference if any.

I'm thinking CPU but seeing as i don't have one that fits that socket I'm kind of weary about going out and spending money on this (especially if I'm not sure if I'll be reimbursed :()

Just seems strange it booted up a few times without a problem and how it turns on by itself now.

Anyone got an idea? or what i should try next?

Thanks in advanced <3

I just worked on an old Gateway that was doing the same thing. It had 2 sticks of memory in it and 1 stick was bad. It didn't beep, load or do anything until I removed the bad stick of memory.

First off, thanks guys

35g700, I just checked the caps none that i can see w/ a magnifying glass, cant feel any that are pushed up either.

Slaymate, I've taken out both sticks of ram and tried booting it with only the mobo and processor and still fans turn on but doesnt boot. :(

You'll need at least of stick of ram installed or it will not boot. Try one stick, if it doesn't work take it out and try the other stick. Did it beep with no ram installed?

I really doubt it's the cpu. I would try a new mobo 1st.

you said the hdd is clicking, this is not like a hdd dying clicking noise is it?

and have you tried to reset the cmos?

It doesn't beep with no ram in it, still cant even get the power light on with it but all the fans turn on

Tried both ram sticks swapped them down every slot, still nothing :(

And the HD Clicking, It sounds like its booting up like normal, bad choice of words :laughing:

I've been resetting the CMOS just about everytime i reboot it.

Also, It doesn't seem to beep when there is no CMOS battery, like every other system i've had

Could it be the mobo? It seems like its still doing things, like turning on the fans. Not sure if the HD would have to be booted by the mobo or if it just turns on and boots itself as soon as it gets power

Thanks again guys

Just because a few fans spin, it doesn't mean the power supply is good. But you said you tried a different power supply already, so I'm eliminating it as a possibility. The cpu is the least likely component to go bad, so I'm eliminating it til we have no other choice.

The mobo should beep with no memory installed. We've swapped and rotated the memory around with no success. And you've tried unhooking all the other components with no success. It's either the mobo or the cpu. I'm recommending a new mobo.

Wait, I thought the four things you needed for a post beep was a mobo, a CPU, RAM, and a speaker so that would mean that you do need memory to get a POST beep.

Your assuming a single beep. With no memory we should hear multiple beeps. I'm just looking for some kind of an indicator. I still say it needs a mobo :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom