cpu usage problem. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vithiet

Beta member
so here's the deal... i use my laptop mainly to play videos (.avi). I've done so for the past 2 years with no problem but lately almost everytime i play a video, it starts skipping and then stops at some point.
freemem pro shows that cpu usage is up to 99%.
when I check task manager there's always a process that takes all the cpu usage, sometimes explorer, sometimes ccap.exe (norton)... it's always a different one.
As soon as i close mediaplayer everything is back to normal but cpu usage goes back to 99% again if i try to play the video again... i need to shut down and restart my computer to be able to play the video again abnd see the end!
norton says there is no virus in my laptop.
i use reg supreme to clean up the registry for better peformance.
i use ad aware to clean up all the little crap.
i use freemem pro to always free up memory.
i defrag regularly.
i haven't changed anything on my pc for a while, no new software or applications installed for a few months, and the problem started a couple weeks ago for no apparent reason...
I have some computer knowledge and tried a bunch of things but nothing works...
So please help me if you have any idea or suggestion short of formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything!!
my laptop is a pentium 4 3gz with 512 MB of ram and an ati radeon 9700 video card.
Thanks

Vithiet

yes, i updated liveupdate from norton and did a deep scan... nothing (or so norton says...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom