CPU usage is consistently at 100%..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyBateman

Beta member
Okay so I've had this laptop for about 5 months. It's a HP Pavilion g7 and in the past I've never had problems with it. Recently, it's been running a bit slow and the computer usage is at 100% about 90% of the time. I haven't been running anything differently or doing anything additionally, but the CPU usage is ALWAYS excessively high. I've scanned my computer for viruses and scanned for all vulnerabilities and found nothing. I've gone through and removed about 20 programs which I don't use anymore, but i just can'f figure out why its so high now. I have an Intel Pentium processor running at 2.27 GHz and 4GB of RAM. Is that not sufficient for the computer or is there anything else I can do before I have to upgrade it?

Have you checked for spyware? That would definately jump it. Grab malwarebytes and do a full system scan. Also, go to run (windows key + r) and type msconfig, go to the startup tab. Anything you do not need or do not know what it is, uncheck it. Restart after this to apply settings.

How are your temps, also? What's the last time you cleaned out the side vents of dust?

I have scanned with Malwarebytes and also a full system scan with Kaspersky.
I take the computer apart and blow out the hardware monthly, so that shouldn't be an issue.
& I'll try the msconfig thing.

Thanks

Check Task Manager and see if it shows what process is taking up so much CPU power.

Check Task Manager and see if it shows what process is taking up so much CPU power.

This is what I would do. The Task manager will tell you how much CPU % is being used by each process. Eliminate the larger ones as even the windows processes don't use that much only 5% MAX

I've checked task manager and the only things going above 5% is Skype ( Which i was already aware of), and Google Chrome which peaks at around 7% per tab sometimes. Is there any way that i can limit Google Chrome to using less than that?

Well that's what we're asking... You said you have high / 100% CPU usage in your first post, and now you say you don't?

Where exactly are you seeing high CPU usage depicted at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom